• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 952 diesel generator

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a stack of these at Shirley's. The MEP 952 diesel generator sets providing 28VDC at 180A. So, here we have a nice 5KW set, but it is DC. I can invert this.

My question, are these designed for continuous duty? The application would be overnight power for high-powered camping (3KW loads), mounted in an M105 trailer behind the deuce.

Any info on them would be sincerely appreciated, they seem compact and nicely enclosed. I hope he has one working, unknown how long sitting there.

Bigger images here:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/travel/steelsoldiers1/20061030/index0004.html

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too am intrested in one of these. Do you know how much? Are they in working condition?
Kenny do you think it's the same engine in the 3KW diesel genset?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are built for continous duty. They are off of a M577 Command Post Carrier. (A vararant of the M113) They powered all the radios and other 28V items. Much more fuel efficient to run those that the engine of the 577...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to call him tomorrow and make the inquiries as to how much and do they run. I know shipping will be a killer but I'd do it for the 24V power.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After speaking with Mr. Shirley, he assured me the units have all been tested and are good. The engine is a single cylinder diesel of German make. He believes it is 1800RPM as he didn't think it ran very fast like the 3600's. He quoted me $750 each. I have inquired about freighting to Texas, two should be stackable on a pallet according to him. Of course if anyone's coming this way.. It would almost be cheaper to drive my pickup truck from Dallas TX to Barnesville GA to pick them up I fear! - 12 hour drive, $240 for fuel. two days time.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How noisy are they, BTW? (previous experience with military generators and lack of sleep/complaints from whining liberals..)

reblawyer

I think I could get interested in one of these too, maybe we could set up some kind of relay. I'm about halfway there here in Hattiesburg. Do you think we could get some kind of reduced price if we bought them as a group?

citizensoldier

me too!!

Interested in one to run 24 volt on M109 van. Any idea on shipping? Can anybody get them headed north? Maybe Ohio or Ky? Would be nice because of the diesel motor.. Could probably build a rack underneath and hang it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: me too!!

Hell, if you can get them to Oh or Ky I can get them to Mi. Yeah see how much for a group buy.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to go, let me know. I'd be willing to go to dallas to pick it up from you.

reblawyer

Guys, if we can get enough interest I will be glad to take part in some type of relay. I could probably make the trip all the way through to GA if needed then we could work out some kind of distribution.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm headed to Jackson Miss in Feb for a wedding. I'll have a 3/4 ton truck. I can relay west as far as Austin.

citizensoldier

Any going North

I have a trucker friend that will be hauling Christmas trees to Florida that may be abel to pick some up and get them headed back to Michigan. Maybe drop some off on the way if you could meet him at a I-75 exit. Let me know if this deal gets serious and I will see what I can do. I only want one but will ask around in my groups.
If we buy a bunch will they lower the price per unit? :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks