• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor Plate Thickness

WarrenD

Just wondering what thickness of steel plate was used for armor boxes on M37s in Vietnam?
Thanks.

Srjeeper

Armor

Just got Gordon Rottmans book today and here's what it says. Most M-151's & M-37's were lightly armored .025" steel plate due to weight. Sandbags were also used.

"The first Gun Boxes on trucks were 2X10 & 2X12 inch planks, usually double walled with PSP on the inner walls. The space was filled with sand bags which added a great deal of weight.

Mild steel plate was soon being used for the outter layer with PSP/landing matt for the inner. It was rare that the plates were actual armor-hardened steel.Thicknesses included, .25, .37, .5, .63, .75", the thinner sheets were more common.

The space between the walls was packed with C-ration & soda cases, 5gal. water cans, ammo cans, personal gear in duffel bags, litters, cots, tools, etc.."

Driver523

I haven't heard anything good about that new book---among gun truckers, I don't believe he even talked to any gun truckers--never knew either that we coulda choosen different thicknesses---also any armor you see with those gun ports in it was hardened, The PSP thing was earlyer with steel plate inner walls later-----I have heard that he got his info from the museum and a historian---but then again I haven't got one yet---Check out the armor on Ace after a B-40 hit--no mild steel here---also if you see the Eve at the museum the armor is cracked from the truck laying over on its side at Fort Eustis while being taken to the generals house party to show it off------Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

WarrenD

Bill, I assume you mean 0.25" in your first sentence? 0.025 is getting into the tin foil area.

L1A1

Bill, I assume you mean 0.25" in your first sentence? 0.025 is getting into the tin foil area.
:lol:

Warren
Try contacting Maddawg308 on this site. He was building an M37 guntruck and had the plates already fab'd up. He'd know the thickness and be able to answer your question.
Matt

Driver523

The armor on my M-37 was thicker then 1/4" but when Ron built the Black Widow thats what he used, there was some issues on the 5 ton with the armor flexing but on a 3/4 ton I don't think there would be an issue

A

A/C Cages

I have 3 sheets of 1/4" thick 6'x8' at my shop still. Too bad you live so far up there.

WarrenD

Thanks. I'm looking into alternatives to steel to try to save some weight and wear and tear on my body.

L1A1

Not sure what it would cost but how about aluminum? you could use relatively thick sheets of it which would give rigidty and the appearance of "heavy armor plate" w/o all the weight. Not sure what aluminum is going for these days. Another advantage is that it is metal and won't have a wood grain in it like plywood or be weather sensitive like MDF or particle board. Good luck with your project and remember to post pics of your progress.
Matt

L1A1

Warren
You may be stuck between a rock & a hard place when it comes material selections for this project. The aluminum is going to be lighter but more expensive while the steel being less expensive, will be much heavier. I've heard of some of these gun truck" tributes" being fab'd up with plywood and that seems like a bad idea to me.
Matt

vtdeucedriver

I haven't heard anything good about that new book---among gun truckers, I don't believe he even talked to any gun truckers--never knew either that we coulda choosen different thicknesses---also any armor you see with those gun ports in it was hardened, The PSP thing was earlyer with steel plate inner walls later-----I have heard that he got his info from the museum and a historian---but then again I haven't got one yet---Check out the armor on Ace after a B-40 hit--no mild steel here---also if you see the Eve at the museum the armor is cracked from the truck laying over on its side at Fort Eustis while being taken to the generals house party to show it off------Driver
Larry, not to hijack warrens thread.
Its BAD!!! I had not been into the book 10 min and I was e-mailing James........BTW he references the Museum, Kilblane, Kutta and both of Jim's books. I would not waste the money and I am glad I diddent........"Dad got it for me :)" I would have been pissed if I had. Ask for it from a family member for x-mas.

vtdeucedriver

Just wondering what thickness of steel plate was used for armor boxes on M37s in Vietnam?
Thanks.

3/8" for the original panels...................then it was anything they could find. For thought, on the M-37 you may be able to "Cheat" it a bit by going a bit thinner than what everyone is doing with the 5 tons as that short bed of the 37 should not go through as much flexing as the big boys. Id shoot a e mail over to the Jersey crew and see what they did for MALFUNCTION.

Driver523

Malfunction is something totally different----The new book---so they scanned photos from the museum (same thing Kutta did when he worked there)---talked to no gun truckers or even Nam Vets, and reorganized info from exsisting books---maybe I could even "write" a book or should it be said to simply put a book together-----think I'll just stick with The Hard Ride---In Kutta's book he even says the road war ended in 68--Too bad he wasn't there to experience how safe things were----beware of books written about combat situations by people that were'nt anywhere around or ever in country, and not talk with anyone that was--- it can be done but they usually put a ton of research into it and interview those that were there---too many people claiming to be historians with no schooling or experience when in fact they are hobbests---just my opinion and you what they say about everyone having one----------

vtdeucedriver

Malfunction is something totally different----The new book---so they scanned photos from the museum (same thing Kutta did when he worked there)---talked to no gun truckers or even Nam Vets, and reorganized info from exsisting books---maybe I could even "write" a book or should it be said to simply put a book together-----think I'll just stick with The Hard Ride---In Kutta's book he even says the road war ended in 68--Too bad he wasn't there to experience how safe things were----beware of books written about combat situations by people that were'nt anywhere around or ever in country, and not talk with anyone that was--- it can be done but they usually put a ton of research into it and interview those that were there---too many people claiming to be historians with no schooling or experience when in fact they are hobbests---just my opinion and you what they say about everyone having one----------
Thats pretty much what the new book comes down to. He quotes the TO&E for Transportation Units in GREAT detail. No personal interviews and just alot of babble after that.

BlondeGuy

My Daughter just got her first MV, a m37 and I plan on talking her into making a Gun Truck. I know MadDawg just cut some armor panels, but would anyone know the Dimensions for the metal plates needed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks