• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dragoon 300 Purchase

dodgemain

Hi,
I have recently made a impulse buy that I am now questioning. I put a deposit down for a 1985 Dragoon 300 armoured personal carrier version (former SWAT). But, the county is taking for ever to get the paper work together. So, it has given me time to think if I did the right thing. I have two areas of concern that I hoped you guys could help me with. One is there anything I should be looking out for? The vehicle seems to run, drive, and stop good. Second, is the price. Have you seen any for sale? What do you think a fair market valve is for one of the vehicles? Any help would be great.
Thanks

L1A1

Don't know what to tell you about fair market value when it comes to a Dragoon APC. What I can tell you is that they used the axles from the 800 series 5 tons and the (gas?) engine out of an early M113 (tracked) APC. I know there's a dragoon owner who posts over on the g503 and he may actually be a member here as well.

One thing to look out for is make sure this is something that the dept. can actually (legally) sell you. Some of that gear they got from Unc. Sugar came with a caviat that it never be sold off to the genreal public.

Good luck with your new toy and remember to post pics (I'm jelious :drool:)
Matt

dodgemain

Any updates? Pictures? :drool: Cheers
Hi,
Still waiting on the county to get the paper work together. It has been a super slow process. I did hear from them this week and they are making progress. Told them I would like to complete the deal by the end of the year. We will see what happens. I post pics as soon as I get it home.
Chris

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent. Good luck, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you and a trouble free transition.

I'm interested in the details, and also how it differs from the V100-V150 type vehicles.
If I understand it correctly, a lot of the folks involved in the V went on to design the Dragoon. Moving the engine to the other side of the hull helped with avoiding patent issues (though I have read that there still were some).

Cheers

dodgemain

Well it is finally home. Weather was great to drive the Dragoon home. Unfortunately I did not get to drive it. Since it's not registered, plated, or insured a few guys from the SWAT team delivered it. As you can see from the pictures it need a good cleaning and new paint. Starting a new job on Monday so I did not have a lot of time to play with it. A few pictures of the interior are posted at the link below.

http://imageevent.com/dodgemain/dragoon

Attachments

Last edited:

NEIOWA

What I'd want to know 1st is if they actually can legally sell the thing to the public. Many similar vehicles are to be returned to DOD when the cops are done with them (cops received thru LESO program). Depends on the Demil code.

For example the HMMWV now showing up in volume at DRMO yards are Demil "C" - only cops (thru LESO) can draw and when done with them they go back to DRMO for demil. (Or foreign military who can take the entire store with them.).
C​
MLI(SME). Remove and/or demilitarize installed key point(s)as prescribed in
DOD 4160.21-M-1. Defense Demilitarization Manual, or lethal parts, components and accessories​

ODdave

What I'd want to know 1st is if they actually can legally sell the thing to the public. Many similar vehicles are to be returned to DOD when the cops are done with them (cops received thru LESO program). Depends on the Demil code.

For example the HMMWV now showing up in volume at DRMO yards are Demil "C" - only cops (thru LESO) can draw and when done with them they go back to DRMO for demil. (Or foreign military who can take the entire store with them.).
C
MLI(SME). Remove and/or demilitarize installed key point(s)as prescribed in

DOD 4160.21-M-1. Defense Demilitarization Manual, or lethal parts, components and accessories​
UGH, Its Michigan, We buy/sell anything. lol.

plym49

So, you got the SWAT team to deliver an armored car to your doorstep? Sweet! (America been verry good to me)

Last edited:

Vet89

Envy

Totally Awesome!

I showed the photos to the wife and said it would be a great bug out vehicle...

That did not pass for some reason - ie the CUCV

I then told her it was basically a minivan with some heavier metal...

She did not buy that either...

She asked the approximate price and I showed her the post of under 100k was a steal...

Then she said, "If you can find one for $10k that will drive down the road under it's own power and is not towed to the house on a trailer, it is yours."

Any takers?? rofl

Like Tackleberry in the movie Police Academy, I had one of those, "I need these" moments.

edit*** (mind you, my lovely wife is totally a prepper like I am - she is just not buying this purchase unless the above requirements are met)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks