• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Media Blasting Split Rims

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not find anything referring to blasting and painting or powdercoating split rings for the deuce and have a few questions:

1. Is it safe to blast Deuce Split Ring Rims for painting or powdercoating?

2. Do you have to keep the ring matched with the rim?

3. Would you paint or powdercoat them?

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:

abh3

I know some things you have to be careful blasting because of heat buildup and warping but I can't imagine how you'd get Deuce rims that hot!

I've always kept lock rings with their rims but that's from doing one tire at a time, not by design. If they're all the same I wouldn't worry about mixing them up.

I'd use paint as it's so easy to touch up plus powdercoat might not be as easy to find in OD green. Powdercoat is neat but it'll scuff, scratch and scrape too, maybe I've just encountered lesser quality powdercoat but I just can't see spending the $$ to do Deuce rims...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sand blasted some one time and then painted them. Its really hard to hurt them. There are several ring styles, that you don't want to interchange. Not sure if that is in the military line.

It was a lot of work doing all that. Having someone, as above, do it, sounds real cheap and easy. But you would still have to paint them. Just have them blast them, maybe.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sand blasted some one time and then painted them. Its really hard to hurt them. There are several ring styles, that you don't want to interchange. Not sure if that is in the military line.

It was a lot of work doing all that. Having someone, as above, do it, sounds real cheap and easy. But you would still have to paint them. Just have them blast them, maybe.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sandblast the crap out of the rims all the time. You do not have to keep the lock rings matched to the rims. Powdercoat is a poor choice for rims, it will not protect against rust like a zinc-rich primer and epoxy topcoat can.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys!

I was having more worries about have the rings and rims as matching pairs, have not played with the split rings, just wanted to make sure.

I am still split on the paint or powdercoat. The man who will be doing them can go either way. I understand being able to touch up the paint job and not the powder.

Vintage iron

I think sandblast, epoxy primer and paint is superior To powder coat. Powder coat can't be touched up and rust creeps under any imperfections. I have heard that commercial tires shops can get them done cheap. I have heard about $50 bucks each. I just had 8 two piece rims done.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI M35 wheels are called lock rings. A split ring is a whole different animal and should not be used.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Split Rims Kill

Split rims have killed before and it's a good thread to revisit again again again.

A Steel/ google search on "split rims" nets a pile of information on how handling splits requires a lot of respect.

They're coated coming out of the plant but messing up a paint job on them could be bad. A drop of paint in the wrong place may be nasty at 90psi.

The pros sandblasted my M135 rims with rubber on. When cash and time permits, I'd like to do what you're thinking........powdercoat.

I've heard too many bad stories to do anything other then let the Grande Tire boys R+R rubber but I sure would like to coat......."the dark side of the rims".

I just need to visit the threads and TM's where it's been done before, with no problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sandblast the crap out of the rims all the time. You do not have to keep the lock rings matched to the rims. Powdercoat is a poor choice for rims, it will not protect against rust like a zinc-rich primer and epoxy topcoat can.
DITTO to all!
Also, there are industrial zinc-based epoxi primers (3 components) available, which are meant to be applied directly on freshly sandblasted surfaces.
Thats what I have been using for all my wheels, with very best results so far.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks