• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Approaching Freight Lines for Gasoline/Diesel Mix

Opie

Some have said that freight carriers/UPS/FedEx/etc. are sometimes happy to rid themselves of the mixed fuels rather than pay to have it disposed of. Can anyone give hints about what might be needed vis-a-vis equipment, availability to the company to remove such tainted fuel, who to approach, etc.?

There are several trucking hubs here in town, and I'd love free/low-cost fuel, but don't want to look like a complete idiot when approaching these folks.

devilman96

That is proably a myth in some places and a reality in others... Most commercial shops generate so much petroleum waste that they get it hauled for free by the companies whom recycle it for heating fuel...

Only requirement I've seen for free hauling is that you have at least a 200-300 gal pick up and it is in a single tank, not individual drums. Lesser amounts you get charged by the gallon but the charge is the same reguardless of the materials. I am sure every state is different but in Florida you are allowed to mix your waste so oil hyd ATF gas diesel etc all go into the same tank, every shop I've been around does this as the pick up companies only care about water and antifreeze.

The only ones I have worked in that keep it separated were airframe shops... (I miss the free 100LL for the bikes!!!) FAA says if you drain it out of a fuel tank you are not for any reason allowed to put it back in... JP would be a good cache to find but getting around an airport these days that fly's any type of jet is near impossible!!!

Your hunting for the shop managers... If you pop in a shop just tell whomever you run into that your there about waste oil removal. IE don't give them a whole crap load of details until your actually talking to the guy whom deals with it... My guys would chase you off before you ever found me.

When you introduce yourself to them state right up front your not a sales guys. (We hate sales guys)... When you explane that you interested in waste fuel be prepared to offer a manifest with your name address phone etc as most places are required to show that their waste is being removed.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've noted mostly FedEx, delivery van... UPS, delivery van... Penske truck rental,...Ryder truck rental, in that order, are the biggest "donors". Ryder and Penske get their screw ups from the "average Joe" that rents a larger than a p/u truck. They are used to pumping gasoline and put that in the diesel by mistake. The FedEx and UPS, most of the local hubs have don't have fuel. The drivers are responsible for re-fueling before returning to base. The drivers also OOPS on the gas. UPS is up and comming in this area, 'cause they are getting more diesel powered vehicles and, since they have been mostly gas..till now, the old school drivers, out of habbit, put the gas in. I LOVE it!

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Working for a dealer service center, I can tell you that they sell all their waste to a recycler. The recycler then usually sells it to an asphalt company which turns it into black top for somebodies new road.
I do know that a lot of these big carriers blend waste oil with their diesel fuel and burn it in the fleet to help offset their expense on fuel.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's just it. You can put diesel in waste oil, but you can't put gas in it. A regular waste oil disposal company will come suck the stuff out with 90 % diesel in the mixture, but if there is gas, that makes it a "special" type of haz mat. takes a different type of permit and it goes to a different place. Our normal recycling guy can't take it cause he doesn't have the permit. We have to call Evergreen Environmental. $400 a barrel, whether there is 10 or 55 gals in it. The place that our normal guy takes our wast oil to actually has tests they run on the load Before they let him pump it off! They check water/antifreeze comtent, ATF, diesel and gas. Any gas, Bye Bye, Call evergreen for the whole load!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks