• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-22: Why is it an OSPREY?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Amazing bird... amazing aircraft! I will never forget the first time they did a fly by with it at Bell's main plant in Ft. Worth. Almost all 5,000 employees were standing at the edge of the flight line. Talk about proud!

SMOKEWAGON66

The hanger next to our compound used to be a CV-22 squadron. They got moved a few years back but once in a while they have one or two come in and RON there so I get to see them pretty close. And they usually take off from one of the pads near here instead of going all the way out to the main runway. They are really neat to watch take off....they just dont look like they should fly lol. Still an awesome aircraft.

EDIT: That second pic, the one with it coming straight at you, is for some reason a little frightening lol....I wonder how many Taliban or Insurgents have looked up to see that exact same sight and thought "oh cr*p!!!" lol...

Last edited:

shannondeese

My aircraft is being retired and replaced by the MV22. I am currently stationed at MCAS Miramar and on Thursday Dec 1st we transition from HMM-163 to VMM-163. We are the last squadron of CH-46E's on Miramar. Also the slang for the Osprey is "PLOPTER" Each Marine aircraft has a slang name that we call them. CH-46E Sea Knight is the Phrog. CH-53E and D Sea Stallion is the ****TER. UH-1N and Z Hueys are the Slugs. AH-1W and Z Cobras are the Snakes. AV-8B Harriers are either Scarriers or Yard Darts depending on weather its up or down.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My aircraft is being retired and replaced by the MV22. I am currently stationed at MCAS Miramar and on Thursday Dec 1st we transition from HMM-163 to VMM-163. We are the last squadron of CH-46E's on Miramar. Also the slang for the Osprey is "PLOPTER" Each Marine aircraft has a slang name that we call them. CH-46E Sea Knight is the Phrog. CH-53E and D Sea Stallion is the ****TER. UH-1N and Z Hueys are the Slugs. AH-1W and Z Cobras are the Snakes. AV-8B Harriers are either Scarriers or Yard Darts depending on weather its up or down.
Thanks for the language training.
And Thank You for your service!
Good luck and best wishes on your operational transition.

John
San Angelo, TX

R Racing

I actually produce parts for the V22 . It was and is still tested at Pax. In the early days they had a chase plane follow the prototype planes to mark areas were parts fell off lol.The local joke at that time was Henny penny the sky is falling !! lol. I believe they have debuged it and now working on upgades to improve its capabilities.

A

A/C Cages

They are fun to jump out of, But also saved my life when I had one pilot land his on the edge partially on the roof just enough to have 3 guys run out and pick me up after an RPG took out the wall behind me and collapsing on me trapping me under concrete rubble.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are fun to jump out of, But also saved my life when I had one pilot land his on the edge partially on the roof just enough to have 3 guys run out and pick me up after an RPG took out the wall behind me and collapsing on me trapping me under concrete rubble.
Jon,
You know the angelic sound of those rotors then.
Glad you made it home, Sir.
John

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...CH-46E Sea Knight is the Phrog....
Back in the 80's, we in the infantry, and later with the CH-53D community, referred to your bird as the "Shivering S**tcan". Sorry about that! :razz:

I have yet to see a V-22 airborne! Every time there is a chance, I seem to miss it. Maybe next week when I'm on Camp Pendleton visiting my son...

Cheers

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Jon,
You know the angelic sound of those rotors then.
Glad you made it home, Sir.
John
Osprey once, Several Blackhawks, Several C130s.... Yeah ive seen several rescuse from the backboard position. Ive been banged up one too many times over the years.

But seeing that Osprey half on half off that roof while the pilot maintied its balance. That was a great pilot. Nothing like pushing one rotor while idiling the other down to mantain contact.

Screw the cats 9 lives, Im working on 19 so far. lol

firefirefire90

I'll be the only one to dislike this aircraft. They fly over my house into MCAS Miramar all the time. Cool video though. That bird really can do some amazing things with it's body!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been in the CV-22 simulator at Hurlburt Field. Pretty neat to fly also. I was also amazed at the graphics of the simulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks