• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Trailer - Pintle Hook Binding

Makaboy98

I have bought a surplus M101A1 3/4 ton cargo trailer but I'm having problems with the lunette eye and my truck's pintle hook binding on turns. It seems to happen mostly on right turns and it was bad enough it bent my pintle hook's mounting plate that connects to my receiver. It also slightly bent the lunnette eye draw bar. I was told by my local trailer supply store that the pintle hook may be too small in the pintle hook crosssection. I have a Buyers 8 ton pintle. They told me that this trailer's lunett eye is a 3" id which is larger than what is needed but it connects to the military's other larger vechicles. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or if there are any suggestions. I can either get a larger pintle hook, try to change to a smaller lunette eye (if possible?) or get this combination to work.

Thanks

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the pintle is that tight on the lunette, you should get a bigger pintle. Mine has plenty of slack for an M101, M105, whatever. I'm not sure what it came off of, but I think it was military.

Makaboy98

As far as I can tell my pintle hook doesn't rotate. It is a solid pintle not a combo with a ball hitch. I'm attaching a picture of my pintle, not sure it will show up.

I've tried to grease it but it still seems to bind. It binds then eventually I hear a bang when pops loose. Which usually will bend something.

There seems to be plenty of slack and i was worried if there was too much. I was thinking if the hook was bigger maybe it would pivot around the pintle instead of sliding and then binding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks