• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod bearings

Boatcarpenter

I suspect my multifuel engine in my Deuce has very early rod bearing troubles, although I can't exactly pinpoint the noise yet. It does quiet down a little with full oil pressure however. My ? is, what is the best TM to use for procedure and specs etc. Also, any helpful tips and tricks would be appreciated. I've done bearings before, but not on one of these.
Thanks,
BC

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bearing is a bearing. Easy enough to put up. Considering the pictures i've seen posted here, if you suspect a rod brg failure, drop the pan and have a look or take the filters out and see if there is any bearing material in them! If you catch it soon enough a good polish and new bearings will save you an engine swap, i.e. holed block or junk crank. Take pictures, let us see what you find!

devilman96

Ditto on the oil analysis... Napa sells them as Wix PN 4077 and the cost is 15-20$... Fill the sample and mail it out to the lab, check your results online in about a week.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Rod bearings

TM 9-2815-210-34-1, TM 9-2815-210-34-2-1, TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 and TM 9-2815-210-34P should be all the Multifuel TMs.

Boatcarpenter

Thanks all! Tomorrow if it isn't raining again, I'll be doing more diagnostics. Going to pull the valve covers off to see if anything weird is going on in there that might be causing the noise, but I really don't think there is. Will also be listening with a stethoscope because with my not to great hearing I'm having trouble locationg the source.
Will post results as soon as they are in!!!

red devils dude

a good thing my uncle has shown me( he's done more engines then there's peple in some town's) if the sound is a "rumble" it's the main bearings
if it's a bang, knock or ting it's a rod bearing, valve's tick some peple can hear each valve open and close.

Boatcarpenter

The oil sample went in the mail today because my local NAPA didn't have any of the kits in stock Mon. AM.
The lady at the PO mumbled something about Priority planes won't be flying Wed. and Fri.but I only sent it 1st class, so I don't know what the heck she was trying to tell me. Maybe that it's going to take a long time to get to Atlanta. We'll see. I'll post results when I get them.
Cost $13.39 and $1.59 postage.
Have a nice holiday everyone,
BC

Boatcarpenter

Oil analysis

Here are the results. If you can blow it up you may be able to read the ppm items. If not, they read from left to right as follows; iron,chromium, lead,copper, tin, aluminum, nickel, silver,silicon, boron, sodium, magnesium, calcium, barium, phosphorous, zinc, molybdenum, titanium, vanadium, potassium, fuel(%vol) , vis@40c, water, soot/solids, coolant.
So, what do you think, bearing?
BC

Attachments

AMGeneral

Well judging by the fact that your two Abnormally high particulate levels are iron and lead,bearings could be a possibility.I read these things all the time at work as we are required by our Equipment Management System to take samples of every fluid in all our heavy mining equipment at specific intervals.It definetly does help diagnoise oncoming problems.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, lots of iron and lead, but no tin. It's odd not to see any tin in the analisys unless the bearings aren't of the lead tin overlay type. Technically, you should have a baseline to compare the results to..so you know what is in the new oil to start with and see what is abnormal. I take it you drained the oil out, was there anything in the bottom of the pan? A pan is easy to remove, i'd just pull it and check it out.

devilman96

Ditto with Will.... I am surprised that chromium and tin are not higher also which reflect rod bearings / journals... You definitely have something going on but as for what its hard to say. How many miles are / were on that sample? and how many miles are on your engine? If your up around the 30K range or above go ahead and do your rod and main bearings.

Something I am working towards understanding and doing research on is the MF's oil system... Few do sampling, which is sad because it gives us do little data and these motors seem to have a love for venting themselves via rod failure.

I am still collecting data and researching so I do not want to go into a lot of detail that I will have to later recant but I will say this... Think of your oil filters as nothing more than 2 over glorified coffee filters that don't meet even the lowest of standards. I say this because in speaking to Herc, Baldwin, Wix and others in regards to the filter types and capability, mileage and expected life if you get 50k out of one of these your really lucky... The filtering system was not designed for high mileage... its was designed for redundancy.

Boatcarpenter

Truck is a 1970 with 37000+ miles, 800 hours, but the engine has a manuf. date of 6/85, so I have no idea of true engine hours. I have not pulled the pan yet to see what is in there.

jasonjc

OK I got my oil sample back to day can't scan it like boatcarpenter did but the report is the same format so I will list the numbers in the same order the eng is a LDT 465 1C with 787 hr on the meter (right or wong???)
111A 17A 13 16 0 7 0 0 19 240 19 263 2421 0 1095 1408 9 0 0 0 <1 n/a 12.03 0 0.5 no
wear not major but should be noted Change oil filter resample at normal interval

I plan to do my other trucks soon and will post the numbers if any one whats to see them?????

mucekok

would drop the pan and check bearings for my own peace of mind regardless of what analysis says. i had catastrophic rod bearing failure in the original engine in my truck. now i know why GL auctioned off such a clean truck! the engine swap was less than a one day ordeal, but it cost me parting out a whole truck. still makes me sick to this day, but in the end i made money on the deal. this may be something to keep in mind before rebuilding that engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks