• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What color OD?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Paint

Bjorn,
You're only asking half the question, and only getting half the answer. In order for the FS numbers to mean ANYTHING, you have to know what standard they are referring to. For example, 24087 is one color in FS595, and a different color in FS595A.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this reference on the web. The FS595A would then be the standard for 1969.

FS595: The colour standard FS595 was first issued from the United States government, in 1956 and continuously updated by adding letter extensions (FS595a 1968 and FS595b 1989) when full reprints with all additions were done. In this well-though-out system, the first digit 1,2 or 3 refers to (in American terminology) gloss, semi-gloss and lusterless. The second digit referred to basic colour groups, as follows:

Brown (0), Red (1), Orange (2), Yellow (3), Green (4), Blue (5), Grey (6), Misc. (7) and Flourescent (8)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bjorn,
Now you've covered both halves of the question. Keep in mind when ordering paint you need to cite both the FSN and the FS number, and make sure that your paint vendor does the same thing. Many don't understand this, and use the current FS chart (FS 595B).

You and I both know someone who bought "24087" - but it was mixed to 595B chip standards, and is no where close to the color you (or he) wants.

Also, beware, many of the FS color-oriented websites target scale modellers, and repeat a number of old wive's tails - however, these problems are typically in the WWII-era color discussions.

Best,
David

jasonjc

So hear is a ? when I go to paint my M530C is the brown typ 24087 the right color? and when I do my 1953 M135 I have some 23070 for it. Both of these are the Gillespie brand and here are a few pic 24087 on the left 23070 on the right one in dirct sunlight one shade. will these work or will I get chaseed out of a show :p or is there a better color????????????

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 23070 would be a much better match in my case, the brownish 24087 doesn't seem right, but I have seen any number of collector vehicles with the brownish finish. Aervoe's 24087 is not as brown as is Gillespie's.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Two new issues have been brought into the discussion at this point. One is variance in manufacture - the actual FS standards allow for very little color variation from the standard. Properly formulated paint of a a given FS number, and given FS standard, should be the same regardless of manufacture.

The fact that two brands are different (and as Bjorn points out, they ARE different) is indicative of deviation - either the FS number differs, the FS standard differs (595A or 595B) or a paint mfr screwed up. FWIW, color FS24084 of FS595B is essentially an identical color to FS24087 of FS595A - however, FS24087 of FS595B is VERY different from FS24087 of FS595A.

Clear as mud? Olive Drab mud, that is.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks