• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filling the gas tank of a M211 - Do I need lead additive?

badgeboy16

:oops: OK, another dumb question here.....Do I need to add lead substitute additive to the gas?

I saw this truck run when I bought it three weeks ago, had it trucked home, pulled the batteries and there it sits. I really want to drive this truck around....but want to make sure that all the needed PM is done first.

As always, I greatly appreciate all of you help!

westfolk

RE: Filling the gas tank of a M211 - Do I need lead additive

Your call. Of all the ones I've had, around 20 of them(still have M135) I never added it. It wouldn't hurt to give it to the engine. I never experienced any problems though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Filling the gas tank of a M211 - Do I need lead additive

Biggest reason lead subsitute would be added to an older engine is to combat exhaust valve seat recession. In older engines, the lead actually helped protect the exhaust valve seat from wearing away. In modern engines, they have hardened exhaust valve seats to protect against this (since lead is gone).

I have owned antique cars most of my life and never run a lead substitute. When you rebuild it or pull the head, have a machine shop install hardened exhaust valve seats and don't worry about it.

:driver:

JasonS

Lead was added because it was a cheap way to increase the octane. Supposedly, it is harder on the exhaust seats.

n1vbn

As I remember the US Military used lead free mogas during WW II and all gas engines for the Military in WW II were built with hardened valve seats.

Jim

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Even in the 50s leaded gas was not typical globally - as the U.S. military buys vehicles to operate worldwide, leaded gasoline was not a factor at the time, nor was high octane. Essentially, if the product is labelled "gasoline" the GMC should burn it without problem, or damage.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks