• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aervoe military paint...Any comments?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get Aervoe military paint locally so I save a bunch on Hazmat shipping costs. Any comments on this paint?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, I used semigloss OD made by Aervoe to paint my truck and I would recommend using hardener, which I did'nt. The paint was soft and spungy for months afterward and when I try to sand it off it just clogged up brand new sand paper like a bunch of tar balls. I probably got it from where you can get it in the high desert, saved a bunch too!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a can of Aervoe "Earth Yellow" a few years ago when I couldn't get that particular color from Gillespie, brought it to a Sherwin Williams store and had them make a gallon of that same color in an oil base semi gloss.
That's what I used and it has held up very well.
A part of my front bumper was sprayed with Aervoe just for comparison and it's now turning pink. They may have solved that little problem now, but from what I have read, the fading to pink was pretty much common.

I'm considering doing the same with 24087 OD semi gloss, since the Aervoe color is less brown than Gillespie. Can't remember seeing the brownish color on MV's while in the service....

(Ref image below) Guess which side of the bumper has Aervoe?
The 5-ton air filter canister was just placed on the fender and is not used. Old picture.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did mine w/Aervoe. No problems yet. Get a scratch or more paint chips off, no biggie, whip out a spray can and touch it up. It's been 6 or 7 months since it was done.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read comments on other MV sites regarding the fading issue with Aervoe, but I trust and wanted my SS folks opinions. Unless some else makes a comperable paint locally, it looks like I'll be spending some $$$ sending it from Texas. "Rapco". Hey Cali folk, any suggestions on local paint? I'm gonna go with desert tan.

JDToumanian

Hey Cali folk, any suggestions on local paint?
Hey Big Mike,
I like Bjorn's idea of taking a sample of paint, like a small can of the appropriate Aervoe color, to your local Sherwin Williams (or other) paint store and having them match it in a nice oil based industrial enamel. If I didn't already have 5 gallons of Gillespie 24087 here at the house, that is what I would do.

Regards,
Jon

mangus580

Now that this has extended a little, I will toss in my input. I painted my 1009 with Aervoe almost 2 years ago. Looked great the first summer... But now I am noticing that any of the 'top' surfaces, such as the hood and roof, are starting to fade a little.

I will say that if you do use it, call them. Talk with them. Follow their suggestions on thinning and spraying! It will make a big difference.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JDT,
I stopped at the Sherwin Williams automotive paint store yesterday to discuss the idea of military paint. There seems to be an issue making flat paint. I don't think I want semi-gloss desert tan. I may be wrong but I'd hate to have paint made then find out it is too shiny. I will re-think the idea though.

Thanks,

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told that if you have the NSN number for the color you need, Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings can do it.

These #'s are for 1 gallon cans:

Desert Sand 8010-00-111-8004
Sand 8010-00-111-7988
Earth Yellow 8010-00-111-7968
Earth Red 8010-00-111-8003
Field Drab 8010-00-111-7943
Earth Brown 8010-00-111-7998
Olive Drab 8010-00-111-7940
Light Green 8010-00-111-7930
Dark Green 8010-00-111-7938
Forest Green 8010-00-111-7937
Black 8010-00-111-8005

You can go to your Sherwin Williams Dealer and ask them to order from their Industrial Coatings group the paint you need using the NSN number. I have not tried this yet, but I intend to. If someone else tries this first, please let us all know if it works.

I too have a need for "Earth Yellow" and have tried Aervoe. I used the rattle can, it comes out powdery, very wierd stuff.

Only my personal opinion - I DON'T LIKE THE STUFF. I've spoken with Aervoe at length and they don't believe there is a problem. OK, Whatever.

cbvet

When I got the M35A2 it was painted with Aervoe #34087 olive drab. I used aervoe in spray cans & gallons to paint the bed & wheels. Very easy, as the flat paint hides imperfections. Holding up well. Spray can touch-up is easy.
My trucks are stored inside, so I don't have a fading problem.
I'll use it again on the Stude Deuce.
Eric

Hey Big Mike,

My original Deuce I bought was desert tan camo scheme and I bought the paint to redo it. Before I ever painted it I bought the second Deuce I have now - which is OD Green. Sold the tan deuce and still have the paint. They have never been opened, still have the plastic seal ring on the lids.
You can have the 2 gals of Desert Sand and 1 gal of Earth Red I have for the taking. No cost to you. To make it easier I will be in Riverside on the 15th, 16th, 17th, of December and I will bring them there if you want to come get them. You'll just need to buy the black in spray can - only way it comes in Aervoe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks