• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value?

hwcurtice

So, what should a decent 1962 Unimog go for?

Didn't get the miles off it. A local used car lot is selling one. I've seen some go for the upper teens to low 20's which is why I ask.

Also, does anyone have a shot of a complete dash? This one is missing a couple gauges and I'd like to see what ones are missing, and find out how hard they would be to find.

The only thing I see different of this one is that it seems to have taller tires than stock. It has bows and cover, but no rear flap. I didn't notice any obvious rust. Even comes with two spare tires and one spare rim. It has a soft cab cover.

Are these gassers or diesel?

I know, y'all want pictures, right?

The owner did license it as an historic vehicle, which is cool. It has 1962 Washington plates on it.

762X39

We'll need a little more information. Which Unimog were you looking at? If it is a 404 then it has a petrol engine and it may not have been ordered with a full set of dash gauges (the holes usually have rubber plugs in them). A picture and the VIN will help.

Last edited:

hwcurtice

I know of him.

Maybe he might reply to this tread too.

I guess I'm going to get an education in Unimogs...

Or maybe aim someone to one that wants one...

hwcurtice

I found a picture of a dash, with the rubber fillers where there are holes in the one I saw.

The Unimog picture thread helped out a bunch. Now I need to go get pictures and hopefully a VIN before I leave for Indiana tomorrow...

hwcurtice

Pictures of the one in question are going to have to wait until next week.

Either they sold it, someone got one heck of a Christmas present, or they took it inside to keep it from rolling away.

And I'm leaving at O Dark 30 tomorrow for Indiana.

BTW, there is one on eBay that looks real close, only the one I'm looking at doesn't have a snowplow... For an idea...

saddamsnightmare

December 26th, 2011.

If it's a Swiss Cargo S404.114, depending on condition and miles, you ought not to be out anymore then $4 to 8K, and it better be really exceptional for $8K! Generally the Swiss took better care of their Unimogs then some other armies, but you will still be out some $$$ replacing deteriorated rubber components, canvas and tires, as a '62 will be turning 49 next week at least! Also they hate Ethanol in the gasoline...ask me how I know!
Generally the S404.114's are very underrated for what they can and will do as 4X4's and far too many have been molested into rock crawler or sand rails, so the genuine items are getting a little rarer....I wouldn't get rid of mine, but shooting the bugs out up here in Illinois due to the aforemention corn squeezings in the gas was just about enough to drive me nuts (more like a putt, really)!:D

hwcurtice

Also, all the writing on the dash is in German. So I know this isn't a French Unimog, right?

And isn't French the Swiss national language? Wouldn't the dash language be in French?

Yes, this thread is all about educating the uneducated.

kerismo

I have a 62 404, cargo bed. I got mine for slightly over scrap value, but I see them local and in much better condition anywhere from 3000 to 9k, If by chance it is the MUCH larger 406 (it dwarfs the 404) they can be had between 13k to20+ depending on what attachments it comes with. THe 406 commonly has hydraulic systems. Think Fast tractor as opposed to a truck..

Benzworld has a great forum for these,
Vin is on the passenger front frame rail, slightly forward of the axle mt. It is different than the one under the hood and can be decoded fairly easily.

The convertible top is a quick indicator if it is a swiss type, it has a large angle crest, german, belgian models have a less steep top. The great thing about these is that the parts are much cheaper than the larger diesel counterparts and are readily available via mail order.

I have only had mine a short while but got a real education quickly, I am not even close to an expert but hit me up with Any questions, at least I can direct you where to find answers....

Keri

Last edited:

spicergear

My 77 406 was originally in the German Army and has German on the guages and door stickers. 406 will have the VIN on the frame under the cab behind the front bumper...ish. :) You look and you'll see it. The 406's and 416's (short and long wheelbase) are diesels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks