• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor?

Longhunter7

I have a Bostitch 2 hp air compressor, 6 gallon tank, 135 psi, with 3.4 cfm@40 psi, and 2.7 cfm @90 psi.

I really like the portability of this compressor with it's carry handle.

Is this capable of running a 1/2 inch air ratchet?

I have been using the compressor mainly for airing up tires and with a blow gun.

What else can I use that is automotive related, with the small size of this compressor?

I am not a carpenter, so I am not interested in nailers or things in that direction. :arrow:

Boatcarpenter

Hey Longhunter7,
I have an Emglo compressor approx the same size for my nail guns ets. Once in a while on a job I use it to set a bunch of lag bolts with a 1/2 inch impact wrench. It will set several 3or 4 inch and then you have to wait for it to build up pressure again. It will only do a couple of 5or 6 inch before running out of air pressure. I can use it to rotate the tires on my pickup and other small intermittent things. Have tried small rotary air sander etc, but not nearly enough volume except for very small items if you are not in a hurry. I'm not certain of this, but I believe you don't need much more than 90 psi for most air tools but you need VOLUME and our little ones just don't have it. I just picked up a Craftsman 26 gallon tank, 150 psi compressor for home use. Haven't really tested it but seems to run everything well for my needs. I just hope it lasts a while.
Hope some of this info is helpful,
BC

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey LH7!!

I'd say you could run a 3/8" air ratchet a little better. It will definitely be playing catch up if you use it for very long. I have a Campbell-Hausfeld compressor with a 20 gallon tank. I think it is rated for around 6cfm at 90 psi. It does pretty good on everything except high volume tools like grinders and sanders.

Just keep an eye on the temps. I switched mine to synthetic compressor oil to give me a little more safety margine. You just want to be careful you don't cook it.

Good to see you here Rick!

Longhunter7

Boatcarpenter,

Thanks for the info! I will get an air ratchet and give it a try.

Steelsoldiers,

My compressor is oil free, and is designed for continues duty.

I'm still here, but have been sandbagging and not posting as much.

I will have some more time coming up, and I will be back to help out more.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah! Oilfree and continuous duty makes a big difference! Go for it buddy.

Glad to have back chief! You were always a big asset to the SS family!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks