• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M880 owner

tractorfix

Hi all. I have owned many Dodge trucks, and just bought my first M880 on eBay. I haven't even brought it home yet. I am very happy to have found this website and hope to get to know you all as I get into this project. Feel free to go to eBay and check out item number 220048552153. Post any comments or thoughts you may have including if you think I got a good deal or not.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. The power steering is a great upgrade for the M880. I love these old trucks, need to get me another one.

N1265

You did't do to bad...... It's getting harder to find these trucks rust free and any time you can get a good 4WD with under 6ok miles for under $3,000. you cant go wrong.

The seat looks to be in great shape and you can still get new floor mats at Saturn Surplus.

So what are your plans with the truck ? are you going to use it as a work truck ? Or maybe dig you up some troop seats and a cargo cover and use it for parades 8)

keep us posted :wink:

tractorfix

Long, sorry. My plans for this truck are for it to be mechanically updated for use as a daily driver. My daily commute is about 80 miles round trip. I like a vehicle that is big, tough, safe and reasonably economical to operate. My plans include an accurate cammo paint job, Nascar style black wheels, a front mount winch. Underneath will be a front 60, and rear 70 with 3.54's. I will use a 205 part time case and 4speed automatic Mopar tranny. Power will be 6BTA-5.9 Cummins. All this stuff pirated from a wrecked 93 Ram. I hope to end up with a truck that respects the pedigree of the M880, while allowing me to have a comfortable and economical, but VERY COOL daily driver with amazing offroad and work capability. I am looking VERY forward to starting this project as there has been a big festering open hole in my gut since I had to sell my beloved Ramcharger. I attached a pic of the poor old thing.

Attachments

McGuyver

Cool. sounds like you have plans to do exactly what I've been wanting to do with my M880 (Cummins swap) Good luck!

RF202

Looks good to me. I never was a Dodge fan until I bought my first one (M882). Bought another one this year.

So, was there rust under the aluminum plates, in the floorboard ?

Your plans for this truck sound good. Keep us posted on the operation as you go along. I am real curious to see how this works out.

John

tractorfix

There was NO floor under the aluminum plates. The roof is rotted even though he said it was good, and the rad support is rotten too. Oh well, the first step is to man up and admit I got snookered. I should know better by now, but sometimes, my gung- ho still overrides common sense. I am still going forward, but first I have to find a cab. Thanks for the offer of rockers ida34, but I hope to not need them. I have a D100 out back that might have a good cab.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very large network of Dodge truck guys on www.moparts.com. Free to register, lots of traffic...... you might find some of the stuff you need there.

RysBlendOfChaos

Hey there, me and my father bought 2 m880s in october. I noticed you were in Ontario, my dad has a cab from a 77' warlock, not sure if that would fit? Its in storage now, ill take a look at it and get some pictures if you are interested.

tractorfix

RysBlendOfChaos said:
Hey there, me and my father bought 2 m880s in october. I noticed you were in Ontario, my dad has a cab from a 77 Thanks, that is a great idea!. Let me know if its any good, price etc. The warlock cab will fit. It just needs the 4X4 doghouse installed, which is about the only good thing in the cab I have. I'm just NE of Toronto. You can PM the pics.Thanks again!

RysBlendOfChaos

Oh, I thought I PM'd you a reply, I asked about it and apparently its not in the kind of shape you would want to use for a project. Sorry to get your hopes up!

tractorfix

I hauled another M880 home from Detroit today. while not rust free, its pretty darn good with only very minor rust repair required. Looks like it led the charmed life as a commun ication unit. It has the big extra batt tray on the pass side, and there's some bracketry where i think the other alternator was. Its also not all beat to heck like most I've seen. Now, I can get this project going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks