• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B Genset with an Onan

Jim_in_Omaha

Hello. First post here...

I recently purchased a 016B with an Onan diesel. I only wanted the engine to mess around with. At the surplus store it was the only one out of four 016b's that the engine appeared to be worthy.

I removed the engine today and the injector pump was sticky. After about two hours soaking with carb cleaner it freed up. I applied 12v to glow plug for about 30 seconds. The engine then fired up with about two seconds of cranking. I was impressed since I don't know much about diesels.

Is the glow plug 12v or 24v? I assume 24v but can not find a diagram.

I have been looking for the technical manuals. I have TM 5-6115-615-34. But it does not go into great detail regarding the engine electrical control. It makes many references to TM 5-6115-615-12 which I have not found. It requires a username to download off the military documentation site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site for info.
Thanks
Jim

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jim! Be careful, I started out monkeying around with military generators years ago and now I have 2 M35A2's in the yard!!! :oops: This stuff is addictive! Sorry I don't have the info you are after but hang in there. Someone here will come through. Welcome to SS!

Jim_in_Omaha

I found searchable PDF's of all three manuals using some cryptic wording on Google. The glow plug is 12volts. Glad I didn't hook up 24v.

I'll upload the current manuals when I get a chance. I uploaded the old one I had but after looking at these it is very obsolete. Will need to fix that...

And I would agree this stuff is addictive. I also have a 4A032 engine.
thanks
Jim

Isaac-1

I can't help on the glow plug voltage, but can tell you mine (MEP-701a) will reliably start without needing the glow plugs down to below freezing.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks