• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint samples, decisions decisions

ida34

I kind of like the 24087A. Are you trying to match the green under the flakes under the door opening? If so, I don't like any of them for a match.

Hookin1

I think the 24087 is about as close as your gonna get maybae?

If you have a part that still looks good you can take it to a paint shop and have them run a color scanner on it and match the paint....

P.S. Bjorn your headlight rings will be shipping out tommorow

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Paint samples, decisions decisions

bigmike said:
So you're still pondering Aervoe even though it turned pink?
Not really, but they have good colors right out of the can and many to choose from.

David Doyle suggested 24084. I ordered a can of Aervoe 24084 and it arrived today. I do like it, it's more green than the 24087 and still a dark olive drab.

I'll post a picture of the door tomorrow with the color samples including the 24084.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Paint samples, decisions decisions

The FS595B 24084 should be darn near a perfect match for FS595A 24087, and FS595B 24084 is available from a number of commercial paint makers. 24087 is a radically different color between FS595A and FS595B.

The problem that many enthusiasts experience, especially those new to the hobby, is that when the classic M-series vehicles were built, the Federal Standard in place was 595A - but today the Federal Standard in use by the military, industry, and hence the paint companies, is 595B. Almost all colors are the same in both number and colors between the two standards - BUT our beloved semigloss OD is the exception to the rule. The number 24087 appears in both standards, but the shade changed rather dramatically.

HTH,
David Doyle

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the lighting being what it is , this is what the sample patches look like this morning. The 24084 as marked to the far right. The two samples in the center are Aervoe and Gillespie 24087, definitely more brown.
I'm going for the 24084 for the 8x8. Thanks David for the information!
Now for a good supplier (sorry Aervoe, that pink scares me)....

All indications are that the 8x8 was once painted with Aervoe, the typical pink after sunshine exposure shows up in the 3rd image (Not 100%, but why would someone paint an MV pink?).

Attachments

jasonjc

So you want to know why some one would paint a MV pink??

I have some pic here some where of helicopters belonging to 2nd ACR in the frist Gulf war and they are PINK.
The story goes that they got "sand camo paint" from a some were but it was not mil spec. The story I herd was that it was latex house paint and when it dried it truned a pink color rofl . I will have to scan the pic and post them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess Avon Lady in an MV comes to mind. :)

Anyway, I'm happy about the close match of 24084 FS595B to the original.

Anybody worked with Randolph Products for paint?

Mike_L

Hey! That looks like a good enough match to me, at least from what you've tried so far which is what I've used on some of my stuff but not the truck yet (next year's project). Thanks for the demo.

5tonpuller

RE: 24084

Dont forget that some times WHATS UNDER it can also change the color some. Lite grey primer will make a red liter. where a dark primer will make it a darker red.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: 24084

Armada said:
I remember seeing a movie about a WW2 submarine that was painted pink....lol
Operation Petticoat starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtiss - but that's probably not what Aervoe was modelling their chemistry on!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, with the weather getting warmer and the aluminum primer I received from Cabell, I'm getting ready for the painting.

Got a quote from Randolph Products for the 24084 yesterday.....$129.00/gallon plus $40 for shipping! As you can imagine, I'm still looking for a source.

Meanwhile the truck will be prepared.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks