• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why a 5 ton instead of a 2.5 ton?

Blind Driver

I'm going to purchase my first trucks soon. The first truck will be a bobber. The second will be a ZSTRV (Zombie Survival Tacticle Recerational Vehicle).. I'm thinking about a M109A3, but the box is a bit short. I'd like another 4' of length.

Besides pure girth, what's so special about the 5 tons? I know of the 250 Cummins, Allison auto, and power steering, but are the size and extra weight worth it.

Are there any differences from year to year?

There a bunch of 5 tons coming into the market over the next few months. Not so many 2.5 tons in my area :?

I'm guessing this has been covered, but my search fails.

So what say you?

Thanks, Nick

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Higher weight capacity, higher loading deck, higher fuel costs, higher operating expenses, higher insurance rates, higher license class ..... What's not to like?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 tons vary greatly. Deuces, not so much. Late 80s have a somewhat different brake system but other than that, pretty similar.

Blind Driver

You want a bobber but the 109 box is too short? Do you want a standard length deuce minus one axle?
The 109 can be the bobber or the RV. I want to build the bobber first. I can just store the body or find something a bit longer later. I want the bobber to be about 4' shorter.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How to decide between a 5 ton and a deuce.

1. Pick up deuce brake drum and carry across yard.

2. Pick up 5 ton brake drum and carry across yard.

3. Make decsion.

Works for me every time I think I want another 5 ton.

Goose2448

Have you driven anything that big? Because if not, start with a Deuce. Size and weight should be a big factor in this. Do you have a place to park it? Place to work on it? I'm not trying to say you have not thought of this, just reminding you. Personally I would start with a deuce, and get used to it. Then move up.

ODdave

2. Pick up 5 ton brake drum and carry across yard, Then go back and pick up the parts of your anatomy you left behind.

3. Make decsion.

I edited #2 for you.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the primary concern in 2.5 vs 5 ton would be what insurance, license, and registration issues either may have (or not) for you in your state.

Gross weight of a Deuce is typically under 26000, whereas every 5 ton is over 26000. M939 series 5 tons have air brakes. Some trucks are not old enough yet to have certain types of license plates in certain states.

To me, these would be the initial concerns. The particular want/need beyond that would be dictated by those concerns.

It can be a fairly complex issue, or a very simple one. Make sure the advice you're taking is pertinent to the state you plan to operate your vehicle in - Different states do it differently.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to what I said earlier, here are some of my observations, having been around both 5 tons and deuces. I own a M35A2C (deuce) as well as a M818 (5 ton), and I've put a lot of hours in a M813A1 (5 ton) and a M931 (5 ton) as well.

I'd say 5 tons are typically easier to drive. Power steering makes a difference in low speed maneuvering and handling trailers.

As far as fuel economy goes, the Deuce is hands down the winner. Around 9-10 MPG for the deuce vs around 5-6 MPG for the 5 tons.

In terms of pricing of parts, I've not noticed any particular bias towards deuces, though I will say that it does seem like there are more deuce parts available than 5 ton parts. I haven't come across a situation where I needed parts, but could not find them for either truck.

The 5 ton parts are going to be heavier and larger, but for the most part, not on a scale that requires a whole different tool set or way of doing things. The two things that sticks out in my mind as far as an "annoyance" in this category are that most 5 tons have 100 lug nuts, whereas most deuces only have 60 and that the deuce spare tire is considerably easier to deal with than the 5 tons'. The deuce's spare tire winch makes it an easier affair than the "chase-the-spare-tire-as-it-bounces-away" of the 5 tons. :-o

I don't think 5 tons "drive bigger" than deuces. There is a certain way you drive big vehicles and a certain way you drive little vehicles in terms of what you look at, what you pay attention to, what lanes you use, etc. Both the deuces and 5 tons fall in the big vehicle category in terms of how I've always operated them.

If the multifuel aspect is important to you, it may be easier to find a deuce with a multifuel engine than to find a 5 ton with one. They do exist, but they are seemingly harder to come by, having generally been out of the Military system for some time now.

5 tons will tow heavier trailers and are set up to be towed easier.

M939 5 tons are considerably quieter and more comfortable than deuces or earlier 5 tons.

There are, of course, many other differences as well, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Andy1234

3. Make decision.

My version would be:

3. Buy a forklift and never carry anything heavy again.

Andy

rrrr

In addition to what I said earlier, here are some of my observations, having been around both 5 tons and deuces. I own a M35A2C (deuce) as well as a M818 (5 ton), and I've put a lot of hours in a M813A1 (5 ton) and a M931 (5 ton) as well.

I'd say 5 tons are typically easier to drive. Power steering makes a difference in low speed maneuvering and handling trailers.

As far as fuel economy goes, the Deuce is hands down the winner. Around 9-10 MPG for the deuce vs around 5-6 MPG for the 5 tons.

In terms of pricing of parts, I've not noticed any particular bias towards deuces, though I will say that it does seem like there are more deuce parts available than 5 ton parts. I haven't come across a situation where I needed parts, but could not find them for either truck.

The 5 ton parts are going to be heavier and larger, but for the most part, not on a scale that requires a whole different tool set or way of doing things. The two things that sticks out in my mind as far as an "annoyance" in this category are that most 5 tons have 100 lug nuts, whereas most deuces only have 60 and that the deuce spare tire is considerably easier to deal with than the 5 tons'. The deuce's spare tire winch makes it an easier affair than the "chase-the-spare-tire-as-it-bounces-away" of the 5 tons. :-o

I don't think 5 tons "drive bigger" than deuces. There is a certain way you drive big vehicles and a certain way you drive little vehicles in terms of what you look at, what you pay attention to, what lanes you use, etc. Both the deuces and 5 tons fall in the big vehicle category in terms of how I've always operated them.

If the multifuel aspect is important to you, it may be easier to find a deuce with a multifuel engine than to find a 5 ton with one. They do exist, but they are seemingly harder to come by, having generally been out of the Military system for some time now.

5 tons will tow heavier trailers and are set up to be towed easier.

M939 5 tons are considerably quieter and more comfortable than deuces or earlier 5 tons.

There are, of course, many other differences as well, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head right now.
Right on the money here.

I own both, an M35a2 and a M932A1. The 9 series trucks are easier to drive. Parts are harder to find and slightly more expensive. They are quieter and the cab will take 3 comfortably.

I added air o matic steering to my deuce and now it drives almost as easy as the 932. The deuce has a classic look, multifuel motor, easy part availability, lots of mod options, and is cheaper over all.

You have a fun decision to make :)

Blind Driver

Have you driven anything that big? Because if not, start with a Deuce. Size and weight should be a big factor in this.

I drive 80k of tractor trailer constantly.

Do you have a place to park it? Place to work on it? I'm not trying to say you have not thought of this, just reminding you. Personally I would start with a deuce, and get used to it. Then move up.

I have 3200sq ft of shop space.

Looks like the fuel mileage is going to kill off the 5 ton idea. Once I get into a 2.5 ton and make all the necessary repairs, then the modifications shall begin.

Will I be correct to assume the multi-fuel engine runs on WMO fairly easily? I have about 400 gallons stored and am collecting more as it's available. Sometime this Spring, I want to convert my '92 F350. I'm not going to start the conversion in the winter as Murphy will probably want to move in with me.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted something that I could get of a gov. disposal site, and something that not everyone had. Class of license was not a concern, as I have a class "A".
1) deuces are a dime a dozen, and there are only so many ways you can dress a pumpkin.
2) 5 tons have power steering standard, and were coming out in all the varations produced when I was looking.
3)Lots of 813's, 816's, 817's, 818's, 819's, and 820's out there. In 9 months of looking, no 809, 810, 811 ,812, 815 have been on the GL site, GSA, or Gov deals. So, after looking around, I decided I wanted an M814. Not many in private hands, not even that many produced for the goverment.
The 814 is a strange beast- while it is longer then almost all the 800 series, it still gets decent fuel mileage(6.5-7 MPG) , and it is one of the best riding- long enough that the bumps don't bounce the vehicle, but still heavy enough that the springs have some tension on them. Plus, if it won't fit in the bed of an 814, you either have two much stuff, or you really don't need what you have.

rrrr

Looks like the fuel mileage is going to kill off the 5 ton idea. Once I get into a 2.5 ton and make all the necessary repairs, then the modifications shall begin.

Will I be correct to assume the multi-fuel engine runs on WMO fairly easily? I have about 400 gallons stored and am collecting more as it's available. Sometime this Spring, I want to convert my '92 F350. I'm not going to start the conversion in the winter as Murphy will probably want to move in with me.[/QUOTE]

I've run wmo and typically used a 50/50 diesel mix. No issues runs great. Fuel filters will need to be changed more often. You'll also want to filter the wmo before you put it in the tank. Lots of deuces' out there. Check the classifieds here there are a couple of really nice ones.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks