• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M31 .30 Cal mount questions

ReconH3

I have a 42 Willys that's in great condition. I also have a replica M1919. I want to get an M31 pedestal for it but I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject. For a 1942 Willys, which variant did they use? I could not find any info on the production years and use of the the M31 or M31C. Was the M31C used in 42, or did it come about later? Along with the M31 pedestal, I would need to get the cradle and travel bar. Where does the ammo can go? Does anyone know the designation for the cradle and travel bar? What variants where there for the cradle and travel bar. Last question. Where is a source for these parts that's not BMG parts? Since the M1919 is only a replica, I don't want to spend the money that BMG asks for these parts. Had I had an original, I would be willing to spend that kind of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Al

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a side step mount.. Its much easier. And i know of a guy who makes them who also is in the classified ads in MV Mag.

ReconH3

Get a side step mount.. Its much easier. And i know of a guy who makes them who also is in the classified ads in MV Mag.
Thanks for the quick reply. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does a side step mount look like? Is it anything like the dash mount?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

FrankUSMC

No, it is not the dash mount. It is a mount that is mounted on the passenger step of the jeep. With another bolt that goes into the body to help hold the mount in place. Most of them you see have the M1919 on them.
I would go with the M31 or the M31C both would be correct. Just because your MB is 42, boes not mean every thing that goes on it has to be 1942. Also, with the mount being put in the bed of the jeep, should you change your mind later it is not big deal, you just have 4 bolts in the bed of the jeep to the frame.
You are in North Carolina, you can get a m1919 that shots very easy here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

ReconH3

This pic is tiny, but should give you some idea. Will take pics of mine tommorrow.

http://www.g503.com/serial-numbers/view.php?record_id=157

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - Wire Cutter unit on front of Jeep? 5th post down had lot of links to pics.

Let me know if you want Norms contact info.

Climbing in and out of the back of a Jeep with the pedistal mount is a PITA. I like the side step mount. Norm makes up everything you need. Ammo can holder, travel arm, ect
Is your buddy Norm, the same NormD (Norman J. Dauerer) from the wire cutter link you posted? I definitely want to get in touch with him. I see your point on the convenience of the side mount over the M31. Thanks.

ReconH3

No, it is not the dash mount. It is a mount that is mounted on the passenger step of the jeep. With another bolt that goes into the body to help hold the mount in place. Most of them you see have the M1919 on them.
I would go with the M31 or the M31C both would be correct. Just because your MB is 42, boes not mean every thing that goes on it has to be 1942. Also, with the mount being put in the bed of the jeep, should you change your mind later it is not big deal, you just have 4 bolts in the bed of the jeep to the frame.
You are in North Carolina, you can get a m1919 that shots very easy here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Frank. My Willys is in Europe, and will probably stay there till the day I get a house in NC. We live in an apartment, and would have no place for it now. I do like your point that if I want to remove it, the holes will only be on the floor, and not on the side of the body. The day I bring the Willys back to the US, I will definitely look into getting a real M1919. :) Depending on what I find and for what price, I'll go with one or the other. I like that there are several options. Thanks guys!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, thats the same guy. I didnt drill any holes in the side of my body, and the dummy 30 cal is rock solid (845) 226-5128 is his home phone, tell him Mark sent you. I think he has some ready to go. I'll see him this week. Anyone who has been to Gilbert, Aberdeen, or Sussex has seen his stuff on his jeep. It is top notch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks