• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$400 a gallon

man2112

Hey Folks,
I was watching a show called "battle-ready" on the history channel last night, and they mentioned that diesel is $400 a gallon in Afghanistan...Does anybody know anything about this? Or why it is so high? I'm sure that it all has to be shipped from the CONUS, but it still sounds much higher than it should. That would be a $20,000 fuel up for a deuce!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey Folks,
I was watching a show called "battle-ready" on the history channel last night, and they mentioned that diesel is $400 a gallon in Afghanistan...Does anybody know anything about this? Or why it is so high? I'm sure that it all has to be shipped from the CONUS, but it still sounds much higher than it should. That would be a $20,000 fuel up for a deuce!
I gotta throw the BS flag here!!:confused:

KsM715

I dont think it like going to the pump and paying $400 for a gallon. Its probably figured the by the time the gov. gets it, processes it, ships it over, and paying all the peoples salaries that touch that gallon in the process it probably cost us tax payers $400 per gallon.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds ridiculous but who knows. It wouldn't be the first time the government overspent by 10,000%.

Welder Sam

it also gets "siphoned" off and sold/traded to locals by us military individuals. not legally. i know this from a trusted source that witnessed such activity

x-ray

I know from a good friend who's an Intel officer in Afghanistan that there lots of logistics & issues of getting fuel for US military. First all fuel comes from certified vendors and ships through our reliable ally - Pakistan - You know the folks who's intelligence agency started the Taliban and hid UBL. After lots of bribes, government red tape, etc. and risks (convoy attacks) it makes it to Afghanistan. It may not be $400/gallon, but I'm sure its high enough.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were certain pathways for fuel that would take that much (flying it in in small quantities on Red air or other high cost contract agency) that would lend itself to such a high price. The price quoted may be for airlifting it in as a reserve when other supply lines were at risk?

DavidJBlythe

Even though there are laws against it, most private companies charge more if they know the gov't is the client.

When I was PCS-ing across the country, I reserved an SUV over the phone with National at the recreational rate of about $250. When I went to the airport to pick it up, the nice lady asked to see the card I used. She recognized it as a government travel card and told me that I would have to pay the government rate of about $600 for the same trip. I laughed like it was a joke and told her that it was against several laws for a company to charge a higher than average price just for government clients. I tried to pay with cash, check, anything else, but she wouldn't take her eyes off my card and the $600 she stood to make.

Does the government intentionally make bad purchasing decisions? I don't know. But I do know that private companies overcharge the crap out of us. And we are often forced to pay it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We're spending approximately 307 million dollars in Afghanistan every single day (112 billion dollars a year).

We sure aren't spending all that on the troop's pay.

It has to go somewhere.

greenjeepster

The Hx channel gets a lot of thing wrong. The other day a show I was watching said that the top speed of a hmmwv was over 90 mph:mrgreen:

That would be one scary ride.

Titanium Soldier

I am a USAF 2A3X3 (Crew Chief) on F-22s. When we fly jets we use somewhere between 2000-2500 gallons per flight. Multiply that times 18 flights per day (which is a light day) 5 days a week and at about 3-4$ a gallon for JP8 comes out to 720,000-900,000 a week just in fuel cost alone in just one fighter squadron, of god only knows how many in the air force, let alone navy, marines, army and coasties. The military uses ALOT of fuel no doubt about it! Oh and then they break... some of the bolts we have like a 2" 3/16x16 bolt will cost 45 dollars.. the same one you can pick up at the hardware store for 35 cents. And then you gets bit@#ed at for wearing your john deere winter hat at work cuz they never get cold weather gear for ya cuz they didnt have money :) always makes me laugh!!! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks