• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasquatchSanta

Hello,

I happened to see a short video clip this morning on the Fox News website about new EPA regulations on heavy truck emissions. In the video several truckers that were interviewed were concerned that it might put them out of business.

I always thought when the Govt implemented new emmissions restrictions it was on new trucks. This didn't sound to be that way.

Is this going to effect the vintage MV hobby?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I understand that in CA. the state gave ALL the big trucks so many years to comply, ether NEW trucks, OR install NEW compliant motors

F18hornetM

Same here, all I have heard is new trucks. Its hard to re-tro emissions on older engines. If not impossible. Of course calif, could do it. We have a bunch of DPF filters on new IHs and are a pain. Already have had to have 4 cleaned, and not under warranty. The fords with the Def fluid have not been an issue, yet! I can just see a M35 with a catalytic convertor on it

SCcowgirl80

I subscribe to Landline which is a magazine for truck drivers that are members of OOIDA (Owner Operator and Independent Driver Assoc.). There also was an article in this month's issue about these new regs. This is the way it stacked up:

All 2014 and newer heavy trucks (heavy duty pick up trucks, RV's and tractor trailers trucks) will have the new engines that are supposed to get 10% minimum better fuel mileage.

All 2013 and older trucks will have to be retrofitted with components to increase their fuel mileage by 10% minimum.

There was no mention of trucks that would be classified as Antiques. I don't think trucks that old will be expected to adhere to these new regulations. I'll post more info as I get it as I am researching this topic quite a bit because of my parent's trucking business.

sandcobra164

The EPA is part of the reason we have these trucks now. Do some research, they hated the multi, only allowed 5,000 to be purchased in the late 80's, early 90's, and basically forced the military to pull the plug on it. Now we have these wonderful clean, computer controlled Diesels that meet Tier II emissions standards but are a nightmare to maintain and fail many times more often. I personally feel that since the military comprises less than 1 percent of the population, they should be exempt to a certain extent. I'm not saying they should be allowed to pour oil on the backs of baby seals, but there should be some, wait for it, checks and balances in the decision making process in regards as how the military is regulated in these regards.

flyxpl

The gov/military does not follow many laws , curious as to why they bother with the EPA .
I have heard complaints about maintaining the anti pollution systems on some of the newer diesel pickups .

dikwks

I saw the same story and wondered how long it would take to generate a thread here. The way the story sounded, the new rules would affect older vehicles. But wait, doesn't that violate the "ex post facto" article of the constitution. I've heard of being "grandfathered in" with regard to different new rules and thought the epf clause was the logic used in those cases. How can a government agency tell us "It was OK yesterday but today it is illegal" ?:???:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I saw the same story and wondered how long it would take to generate a thread here. The way the story sounded, the new rules would affect older vehicles. But wait, doesn't that violate the "ex post facto" article of the constitution. I've heard of being "grandfathered in" with regard to different new rules and thought the epf clause was the logic used in those cases. How can a government agency tell us "It was OK yesterday but today it is illegal" ?:???:

BECAUSE thay can and do, remember the government is ONLY looking out for you

natem

My understanding is, all commercial vehicles will need to comply with current smog standard by 2014. Fuel mileage is something else.

Ether way do you think a multi-fuel can make the standard? Or a CUCV for that matter?

Nate

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
CA. is ahead of the curve, thay all ready have this sort of law

Cleptomaniac

Yep they hit the nail on the head at the end of the video! "Consumers could be hit the hardest. Buy paying for goods delivered buy fewer trucks" That's the way it always goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks