• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m274 help

TKRESS1

This will be my new project for the winter months and I'm looking for advice on things that could be a problem. As far as I know this is a M274 dated Feb 1959. I have two four cylinder motors for this unit both have the Willys name on the header. One was rebuilt in 1965 and only has 14 hours on it. We will be putting it back to the 1959 specs. Please share your knowledge.

Attachments

gunboy1656

Wow that looks like a lot of working, at least you got a few more months of winter to play with it.

Biggest headache we had with our mule was the needle bearings. Oh, and getting rid of farmer Johns modifications. Only part of the mule I have not opened up was the motor.

Take your time and have fun.

FrankUSMC

Go to G503.com
They have some GREAT guys who can help you on this. Just go to the mule forum, they have helped me with my mule.
oh, welcome to the mule family.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, put Bill Watson on your speed dial

RodUSMC1962

Just a suggestion,does this have an electric start?We had them in 63-65 when I was in the 4th Marines and we only had the old hand pull starters, just like a lawn mower.I thought thats why they named them mules.They were stubborn! Some seemed to be ok,others were terrible. If you do not have electric start I would consdider adding it.They are a fun vehicle.

Charlie

It's very expensive to add an electric starter to a 4-cylinder mule engine because there is no ring gear on the flywheel. The pull starter is part of the flywheel. You'll have to machine the flywheel to accept a ring gear and then make an adapter to attach the starter motor. I think Bill still has some of the parts you will need if you want to go that route.
I'm not a fan of the A0-4-53 4-cylinder engine, they are very hard to work on. I'd suggest you convert it to an A0-42 2-cylinder....but that's just me.

Attachments

Last edited:

natem

Read the TM, go by the photos. I set one by the book, never got it to run till I studied the pics. Somehow the text does not match the photos.

Nate

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've rebuilt a few mule 4 cylinder engines and I'm currently rebuilding one for my 58 at the moment, if you need help, feel free to email me.

Jason

TKRESS1

Yes, I will be bringing it down this year. Let me know if your looking for any parts for your mule. Do you have any extra spots this year?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks