• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

****new member dumb questions lol****

razorsedge22

Hay guys I have a few questions for the experts . Heres my situation i own a construction company and we are in need of a 4 wheel drive water truck. Ive always been attracted to these surplus trucks but dont know if they are capable of what im trying to do. I've be doing alot research on these trucks but the model # seem endless . So here are a few general questions I hope you guys can give me some insight on.
What is the gvw on these trucks? Are they capable of handling a 2000 -3000 gal water tank off road? Can you find them a factory pto? Do most come with lockers ? And do they have a/c or can it be added easily.last of they will work for my application is there a specific model that is better then the rest to look for?

Thanks for the help guys and cool forum!

poppop

You will need at least a five ton like an M813 for that much load. 3000 gallons would probably be to much load 2000 fine. Most do not have lockers and none have air conditioning and it can be added but would be a big job. Winch trucks have a forward facing pto and dumps have one that has forward and rear shafts so you can add a pto if it does not have one. The 5 tons do have power steering and the brakes are air over hydralic. I don't know specfic GVW but the 5 tons are rated five tons off road and 10 tons on road but the government has them under rated and in my opinion 10 tons off road would be fine.

emr

The m925's have a rear facing PTO to power the hydraulic pump. My m925 has detroit lockers in both rear axles :smile:
Only a Marine issue M 939 series trucks have these, just an fyi,This idea is as old as surplus trucks sold after ww1 :) there are many more reasons they are not used than are, mostly, lack of knowledge and finding out these are tactical trucks and need alot of care,,U need to know these trucks, and what U asked is different for each and every one. u may think from one question u can find the answers to such a BIG question, With ALL RESPCT INTENDED I am just giving it to U straight, use the search function, there are all the questions u have and more already asked here, I would ask for the search words i needed first, then do some reading and then u will still have a few questions that will be more fine tuned. With that said there are outfits by me that have deuce and 5 ton water trucks, now what series and what is best for U is as different as these trucks, Good luck , If U find one that will fit your needs U will Love it , I think but off the top of my head the 939 series is the best choice like said already , good luck...

yamaha415

A few things to consider being in CA. If you register them as on road you will have to register them with the Air Reasources Board by the end of this month. By 2015 you will have to start upgrading your fleet to 2010 or newer engines or put PM filters on the trucks. I dont think you could even put a PM filter on these old trucks, and if you could they start at about 20 grand.

If you just use them off road will they meet the project teir requirements?

Just some things to think about doing business in this fine state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks