• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Driving Off Base-New Recovery Rules?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone including myself have planned as part of our recoveries to drive vehicles off base.

Times are a changing. What worked yesterday may not work tomorrow.

Seems more and more locations are requiring vehicle to be trailered or towed off base by an approved wrecker company.

So add the towing cost of having your trucks towed off base to you out of pocket expenses.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/pickup-questions/80587-cant-drive-off-camp-shelby-anymore.html

Ft Sill has just implemented the "no driving" rule

"Buyer loads, Due to base restrictions, customers will have to load item on a trailer, or tow the vehicle from the facility with approved towing company. No driving of vehicle off of base authorized"

The point of this post is to make people start thinking about NOT planning on driving off base. Have other plans in place.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wonder what would be said if you show up with your own wrecker. Is there a list for "approved" tow companys?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. "approved towing company" says to this cynic:
A. There's a tow company with contacts on base
B. Our towbars are no good inside the fence.

2. Is there a definitive list of which installations have these policies (Ft. Jackson, Ft Sill, Camp Shelby, etc.)?

3. Before anyone starts calling various installations, creating drama and making the current situation worse, we should get some more info.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what would be said if you show up with your own wrecker. Is there a list for "approved" tow companys?

Your own wrecker "should" be okay. Towbars also.

I just think they don't want Bubba showing up with a chain and piece of pipe for a towbar

I have a loadout out scheduled tomorrow at Ft Sill. I'll get the skinny from the GL rep.

Last edited:

Tlauden

You guys think this will limit the people who bid?? I would hate to get a truck then have to pay a company to tow it off base, anything you might have saved getting the truck cheaply goes right out the window if you gotta pay a wrecker. And what if the truck is so boxed in a wrecker can't wiggle into it?!?!?!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Straight from our contact at Camp Shelby:

It has come about from many different cases of people pushing the limit and being overly pushy it still amazes me at the attitude of some who act like the gl personnel owe them full service and unlimited time to get their trucks up and going, or gl must load their trucks. The Govliquidation personnel at the M939 series lot have tried to be ashelpful as they can and have been run over by single buyers to largest corporations. I know of some on here and others that aren't on here that don't think the rules apply to them, and we can thank these people for the changing rules. Please people if you are on here don't try and end round the rules or bully your way around it just makes it harder on everyone, including me. Yes you may tow bar off, but do it safely or you will be shut down, no you can't chain pull off the base, I have shut down one person that I know personally for unsafe towing, made them fix the problems before going any farther. You don't have to hire me or anyone else to get your trucks but you will have to use a normal safe tow or haul method.
and

Fort Gordon is now the same. No driving your purchase off post. They will let you load within their lot, tow with a tow bar, or drive with some sort of temp tag. The reason given to me and another member was that you can't drive an unregistered vehicle on post, so GL will not accept the liability of letting you drive out of their lot in violation of installation policy. I'm guessing most, if not all Army posts have the same policy and GL is making their sites comply.

Funny though, it's not a new rule on Army posts, but GL is just now catching on. I'll bet someone did have an accident and GL caught some heat.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

We have to play by their rules and in all reality this is the best possible situation for us. Too many people just drive un registered, uninsured trucks off base and home... eventually something bad will happen and all these trucks will start getting sold under a different dmil code (mutilate).

At least with a no tow off only policy the Gov has no liability if a buyer has it towed to the nearest Napa and then fires it up, drives it home and runs over a bus full of nuns.

We should have been pushing for this policy from the beginning.

Smokinyoda

The "no drive off" rule at Camp Shelby must apply only to the larger trucks so far. We were down there last week picking up a couple of M1009s, and drove one off no questions asked. They even slaved it off for us, so we didnt have to swap out the batteries on there lot.

Did perform a safety check first of course, and had insurance for the one we drove.

Chief_919

We have to play by their rules and in all reality this is the best possible situation for us. Too many people just drive un registered, uninsured trucks off base and home... eventually something bad will happen and all these trucks will start getting sold under a different dmil code (mutilate).

At least with a no tow off only policy the Gov has no liability if a buyer has it towed to the nearest Napa and then fires it up, drives it home and runs over a bus full of nuns.

We should have been pushing for this policy from the beginning.
Yep. This is, in the end, good for us.

greenjeepster

Who'd driven off ith no insurance, tags, or inspection. Be honest... Lots of folks I bet.
In KY I drove two off of Boone without registrations, both had insurance though. KY does not issue transit plates and will not register a vehicle without a title under any circumstances. That was only about a 10 mile trip and both trucks had been fully serviced and gone over by me in the three months I had waiting for EUC. That was during the Great Glowing Gauge Siege of 2009.

If you live in a state that will issue a transit plate then getting one is no problem, but for states that don't, and with GL not issuing SF-97 until after pickup, registration is impossible.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's an insurance issue, why not just require proof of insurance. You'd have to be a total fool to drive anything without insurance. I drove both the vehicles I got home, A3 from Little Falls(70 miles) and the M1009 200 miles from Sparta. Neither had registration(my tough luck if stopped), but I **** sure had insurance. MN won't issue registration without a title either.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks