• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In need of Nomenclature advice

psolver1

I will be posting classifieds for these Thigamagiggys, but before I can i need some nomenclature help. i know what they do, but would like to accurately describe what I have available. The wheel tire assemblies came of of a route clearing vehicle. It rolled on two axles with a gross weight of 30,000ish pounds so if they will bolt to my M813 I will run them until I find suitable replacements. That leaves me with 9 extra wheel tire assemblies. however the remaining tires are way past not serviceable. i would imagine they would maintain roundness to move a project around the yard to mow (something my wife insist on and i must admit I'm inclined to agree). Six of them have the pressure regulators still attached. I took pictures of the bolt pattern and regulators, and the wheels are 12 inches wide I believe, 2 inches to the short side and 10 inches to the deep side two pieces as near as I can figure. The tires are 450/80 r20. I also believe the lug pattern is 13 inches ctc in diameter, but I'm not close to them and all numbers are subject to being skewed by my recollection. I will remeasure and physically record all measurements tomorrow.

Any input would be appreciated. Don't worry, I get Dumb looks all day long. I'm used to it.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sure looks like a hemtt or pls rim to me. The only thing that throws it off is the ctis system. Matbe someone will know for sure shortly.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I picked one lot of those up for a fellow member. He was going to re-center them and put them on a custom vehicle he is building.

The tires may be "regrooveable" (where new tread is cut into the bald tire) or re-treadable (new tread is bonded onto a processed tire core).

Before I disposed of them I would look into it....there are companies that buy core tires to resell or process themselves.

Check with these folks...they have a location in Anniston. Home

Last edited:

tobyS

What ever happened here? Is there a name for this rim? Have you taken any apart and put these tires on other rims?

I bought 4 and went back, getting 12 more of the new crated ones. They are huge, 18" wide, but the same as 14.00's diameter (49"), thus is a candidate for the rear of a 5 ton. (I want some for a trailer)

They are the 13.19 bolt circle with 11.00 pilot that is the same as a 25,000# ag hub. I happen to have a few of the ag hubs with 4" spindles.

But to use them on the 5 ton takes 11.25, not 13.19. I bought 12 rims a while back that are like these but have pilot centered 8 5/8" and 1" holes on 11.25.

What am I going to find inside of these? Is there a bead sealer? If I used parts of one rim that came with the tires with parts of the other set I have and result in a 12" wide rim, will I need a bead sealer?

Any info on these tires is appreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would NOT mix and match rim parts, there could be a lot of differences, for one the bead could be slightly difference, ect.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires and rims are from the Husky Route Clearance Vehicle if it helps find the specs you need.

Husky_Chubby_System_wheeled_mine_detection_clearing_vehicle_United_States_American_US_Army_640_0.jpg

tobyS

Those tires and rims are from the Husky Route Clearance Vehicle if it helps find the specs you need.

View attachment 609466
Thanks SD. I found that a while back and saw they have a top speed of 50 mph. No problem there, but there is not much more information on them. I noticed they are balanced...which none of my 5 tons have been My 817 would have looked sweet with them on the back and 14.00's on the front. (Sold it, so now I have to find another.)

The 12 wheels I bought earlier are the same thickness, bead and 20 bolt, but with hub centered and 11.25 bolt circle and should change right out. I'll have the bolt holes modified to fit the lug nuts, but it's a lot better than making adapters.

I mentioned to mix parts of rims from these wheels and the ones I bought earlier. They are the same 20 bolt ring, but the one that comes with these wheels has a 2" offset, while the rims I got from before have 2" deeper on the flange part. I would certainly NOT mix them without knowing it is exactly the right fit...but this does seem to be a place where they built to the same specifications for the o-ring area. When I get the tires apart, I'll be able to tell.

So far nobody has replied back as to what I'll find inside. Will I find a run flat? Is there a bead lock?

At a minimum, I'll use my rims with the proper BC for my trailer axles (11.25 and pilot center), and with a slight modification to the holes, will fit the 5 ton rear. Pictures will follow soon.

I'm surprised more people are not on these and changing them over to combat wheels (the heavy version) since they are the same OD as the 14.00.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have access to several of the Husky vehicles if I can get measurements on something for you. They are complete except for the cab and power unit. The wheels and tires are all still mounted on the vehicle if this helps you out any. It'll be about a month before I get back up there.

I do like the width of those tires and looked them over well when I was next to the vehicles. The problem I have with them is the lack of tread. They look like they'd do well in sand which I'm sure is the reason they're on there, given the theater they were deployed in. They also look to be a decent road tire too.

I can't help with the bead locks or run-flats but I will say this. One of the tires was flat and the rim was completely on the ground. I don't see a run-flat letting this happen but I guess a bead lock could still be present. The one with the flat appared to be unissued if anything could be drawn from that.

tobyS

SD, After rolling one around for a while by hand, I doubt there is a run flat, it's heavy but not that heavy. I'll find out soon.

My property is entirely sand and they won't tear up the roads, so I'm willing to try them on the rear. I wish I could mix rims and get an extra 2" rim width but the bead locker would be an issue (being for a 10" wide and not 12"). Maybe I can get a bead lock for 12" wide, 20" dia.??

I can't think of anything to measure on the Husky RCV... but thanks. Edit...what is the weight of this vehicle, the tires have no weight limit but do say 250 kpa (36 psi) max.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks