• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Straight stacked my M923

dieselsmokem35a2

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share some pics of a couple new mods I recently did. First I built a new air intake snorkle. Mostly just for fun. I also added a "Y" fitting just before my turbo and added an AFE cone type air filter to my air intake system. I did this because no matter what I checked or replaced my air restriction gage would always end up in the end of the "yellow" band. I can no longer go in 6' of water but I get a ton of air to the turbo and boy does she sing! You can really hear the turbo whistle now, even over the 8" straight stack! Which brings me to my last mod, which was taking the OEM muffler off and replacing it with an 8" turnout style straight stack. It all went together much easier than I thought . I pretty much just got lucky that I didn't have to do any cutting or welding to make mounts and such. Everything just slipped together with fittings and U clamps sourced from an online supplier. Sounds great to me. Much more bass in the sound compared to the 4" straight stack I put on at first. Obviously louder but thats what I wanted. I don't drive these things to have conversations in. That can happen after the ride! :) Anyway, just thought some of you may enjoy the pics or ideas. Also kinda wanted some honest opinions on looks etc. Good or bad.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

Last edited:

armytruck63

Looks great. I would suggest a pyrometer, if you don't already have one. It would be a good idea to monitor your exhaust gas temperatures.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you said "Good or bad"...

Personally, I just don’t get it… not on a Dodge pickup, military truck, or any other truck (or even on a car).

The severely oversized exhaust stack is a phenomenon whose appeal eludes me (said in my best Dr. Sheldon Cooper voice).:D

Maybe I am just suffering from "Stack envy"?!?!?!?:confused::shock::p

It reminds me of these, which I do not understand either. But, it's a free country, so that is just my 2cents.

Attachments

Bolkbich

The air cleaner is a good idea. Ive had a few trucks over the years that had high intake restriction. I added a 2nd filter and it always worked great. You did a nice clean job on all your mods. Nice truck.

wikallen

I really don't like the stack. Does not look right to me on that truck.
Snorkel is just kinda dumb, since it is not really doing anything for you.

Like your willingness to make the truck the way you like it and not care what anyone else thinks.

dieselsmokem35a2

Well, you said "Good or bad"...

Personally, I just don’t get it… not on a Dodge pickup, military truck, or any other truck (or even on a car).

The severely oversized exhaust stack is a phenomenon whose appeal eludes me (said in my best Dr. Sheldon Cooper voice).:D

Maybe I am just suffering from "Stack envy"?!?!?!?:confused::shock::p

It reminds me of these, which I do not understand either. But, it's a free country, so that is just my 2cents.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I pretty much agree with you and you have a good point! But in this case I think things are within the right proportions for the size of the truck. Or maybe I am just compensating again. :) Anyway, I respect your opinion.

Bolkbich

I really don't like the stack. Does not look right to me on that truck.
Snorkel is just kinda dumb, since it is not really doing anything for you.

Like your willingness to make the truck the way you like it and not care what anyone else thinks.
I like your willingness to say what ever you want and not care how anybody else feels.....He did a really nice job,all his mods are super clean. Im sure at road speeds the snorkel helps the air filter resriction problem some. Its a step in the right direction. The 8 inch stack looks better than the crooked original. Everyone asks why i dont fix my bent exhaust. Im cutting mine off as soon as im done with my first project.

hot rod deuce

Looks good, just watch out for one thing. This goes for anyone with any motor that ditches the factory air box or even adds one like this. The factory air cleaner is picking up say -10 to 120 degree F outside air. You will be sucking in 210+ air through the blue one. That air is less dense. So its like having less air. That means less power and higher EGT's. It could also make your turbo apin harder. If you could get that to suck outside air it would be pretty sweet!

Another fix to your problem could be to replace the factory filter with a CAT unit, they have a higher air flow to size rating than alot of the other filter types.

sierra117

I like it. You should make a video of it going down the road. I myself plan on straight piping my A3 and going duals when funds allow of course.

treessw

I like it. You should make a video of it going down the road. I myself plan on straight piping my A3 and going duals when funds allow of course.
I like the idea you have in mind, however, be careful as to what you strip off the exhaust system on the A3, can or could be detrimental to the overall performance of the engine.

I like the clean job that was done with this 900 series!!! I appreciate the fact you have done something to the truck that you like and still stayed with in a tasteful parameter, thats my2cents. Its not for everyone, but I like it :beer:

Jbrowning22

There's nothing detrimental to performance about taking the exhaust off of an A3. Sure, you'll lose the dust sucker thing, but I'm not convinced that it makes a bit of difference unless you are in the desert. Even then, the WORST case scenario is that you will have to change your air filter more often.

treessw

There's nothing detrimental to performance about taking the exhaust off of an A3. Sure, you'll lose the dust sucker thing, but I'm not convinced that it makes a bit of difference unless you are in the desert. Even then, the WORST case scenario is that you will have to change your air filter more often.
Ok, so I may have used the incorrect wording here, DETRIMENTAL may be overkill. Yes air cleaner will have to be replaced more often. OEM filter is $50-$100 +/- to replace, just my thoughts on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks