• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cops, 2 trailers?

deuceaid

Banned
I was watching this video,

and started to wonder if anyone towed a trailer behind a goat, and if so did they ever get pulled over by a LEO thinking they had 2 trailers in tow? Or , have You been stopped just because it is so rare, etc.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_HV203hnw&feature=related[/media]

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Deuceaid, I don't know where you come up with these cool videos but keep up the good work...!

deuceaid

Banned
Well Don, I have spent so much time online over the years searching for stuff for work, or personal things..... I just happen to post alot of videos here. Part of it is the way I search too, I guess, and what I use. when I am having a hard time finding stuff, I might switch to looking for images of things, I can scan pictures (with my mind) faster than I can read thru all the descriptions etc...... When I use to work for dentsply, I had to find odd things to try and save money etc....... one example was a milling machine we had, and the table would lose its bearings....... we have to order the $15,000 from our german division of the company ( not good when its a warranty job) ................pictures, and the german internet, and some time and I found an american suplier of the linear bearings (new) and a new set only cost $300.... My boss didnt mind if I was on the internet searching......

sorry for the thread derail, I wish I had the video of my friends neighbor`s goat here in the local mountains (lost the vhs tape),,,,,that thing could go anywhere ! this will have to do.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWaWH7iCfg[/media]

BillIdaho

State laws vary, but in many states it is legal to pull more than one trailer. I have an M151A2 that I commonly pull an M416 AND an M762 with. ( I found an M762 that had a rear pintle mounted. The early M100's and MBT'S had a depot-level modification to put a rear pintle on and a guy could keep adding trailers. It went away right after WW2 I believe. Someone on a military base in AZ must have seen that mod, and had the trailer I ended up with revamped. It is a clean and easy mod.

There were photos somewhere on the internet of a guy that took a rear carrier FROM a Goat and made a trailer FOR a Goat. It had the exact same paint (semi-gloss OD, as I recall) and when hooked up, it literally looked factory.
I've thought about making my own, but other projects have prevailed.

And, from an LEO's perspective, Personally, I could care less. It isn't unusual to see civilian owned MV's on the roads around here. Heck, a large majority of MV's in our area are owned by LEO!

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

Like Bill said, tandems are legal in many places..... When I towed my m313 expando van out to NE form NJ, I put an M105 behind it as well..... The M915a1 pulled them like they were not even there..... The setup tows nicely but bear in mind that they can get squirrely in foul weather or a high crosswind (ask Westech). Also, the 313 has no provision for extending the air brake lines to its rear hitch so the M105 did not have working brakes in my case (the M105 was very lightly loaded so that proved to not be an issue but I certainly would not put a dolly and another semi behind the 313 without modding the air system to feed both trailers).

Ziggy

goldwing2000

Banned
In MI it's legal but the front trailer has to be a 5th wheel.

deuceaid, sweet video. That's the first time I've seen a goat in action. Seems like if they had better tires, they'd be pretty much unstoppable.

1958 M274

I was watching this video,

and started to wonder if anyone towed a trailer behind a goat, and if so did they ever get pulled over by a LEO thinking they had 2 trailers in tow? Or , have You been stopped just because it is so rare, etc.
I have towed trailers with a gama goat before. No big deal.

deuceaid

Banned
here it is legal if you have a 5th wheel and a class a cdl...... but the goat doesnt "look like" a 5th from afar. The goat in the vhs I had was 4bying in the mountains with about 5 other civilian 4x4s,,,, they came up to a real bad wash out mudhole, with a shear cliff on the other side, well the goat kept going at it (slowly) back and forth.......finally had 2 or 3 guys sit in the back and it made it thru. then they came to a mud slide,,,,,,,goat made it past it,,,,,,,,,,,,and yes the goat had to winch everyone thru except a samurai which straddled what was left of the road and the cliff .

LanceRobson

The rear of an M561 is NOT a trailer. It is a permanent part of the vehicle an it is called a "carrier" If an LEO thinks otherwise invite him to disconnect it...

Yes, you can tow with it. Backing up a trailer behind an M561 is truly a difficult thing so always stop and park where you can drive out. 3/4 ton M116 series cargo and generator trailers track and tow just fine and tend to follow the carrier around curves and corners without tracking to the inside and squashing little old ladies at the bus stop.

Pay attention to the max towed weight restrictions since Goat pintles are not too heavily reinforced. Also, avoid steep tongue angles and loads such as even an empty 1-1/2 ton trailer would have. The downward angle of the M105 tongue has been known to damage Goat pintles in sudden stops.

I drove and turned wrenches on these critters for years. As a leg infantry mortarman we drove them on a near daily basis with 3/4 ton M101 cargo trailers.

Lance

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In short, if an LEO pulls you over in a gama goat for towing a trailer he is either

A: wanting to check out the ride and ask questions
or
B: just bored and just checking for safety reasons.

Most would be wanting to check it out more than likely and go for a ride.

Emmett

I got a kick out of the audio on that video...you can hear the cooling fan while the guy is xmitting ....typical of a RT-524. and as stated above, the Goat has a carrier, not a trailer so hauling a trailer is OK.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In MI it's legal but the front trailer has to be a 5th wheel.

deuceaid, sweet video. That's the first time I've seen a goat in action. Seems like if they had better tires, they'd be pretty much unstoppable.

would you happen to have any more info about pulling doubles in michigan?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks