• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtering used oil

cbvet

Would like to filter used motor oil/ transmission fluid/ gear oil to mix with gasoline for my multifuel.
Any thoughts on micron size I need to filter down to?
Thanks,
Eric

5 micron filter. Ken uses a high speed centrifuge that works great.
Mentioned here:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5249

Here are some other filter bags: http://www.fsifilters.com/products.php?prod_id=5

And if someone isn't quite up to engineering capacity then they can watch this video on how to install the bags in the filter container. Rocket science here folks.
Actually it does show the bag opened up and is a lot larger than I thought. :oops:

http://fsifilters.com/videos.php?video_id=3

cbvet

Thanks Polverone,
I checked out the info you provided.
I read somewhere on SS that someone had blown an IP because of teflon particles in the oil. As I sure can't afford that kind of damage, I really want to be sure all the crap is filtered out. And who knows what may get dumped in their drain oil tank!
Eric

JDToumanian

That was probably me that had the seized IP due to Teflon particles from Slick 50, but it was not in an MV, it was my 1966 Mercedes... The multifuel's IP may be a lot more tolerant, but ever since I learned that expensive lesson I have been obsessed with clean fuel and oil.

I am also interested in using used motor oil mixed with diesel as fuel for my deuce. I am sick of regularly dumping 5 gallon buckets of used oil into the recycling tanks of my local Auto Zone. I want to know more about centrifugal cleaning of used motor oil.

Have you guys seen this site?

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm

Those units are really neat, but expensive. It's hard to find prices without filling out an information request form, but I did see a site that was selling the Spinner II 950 model for $450. A search of eBay for centrifugal cleaners turned up giant industrial units for $20,000-$50,000. I'd like to build one, but I would need plans... I don't have time to sit and engineer something.

Desert Rat - What kind of centrifuge are you using? Tell us more! How 'bout some pics?

Regards,
Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've not experienced problems due to Teflon particles (thankfully) - but a factor to consider is the source of your used oil. If you're draining it from your own vehicles - you likely have a good idea of what you are getting. If you're picking it up from shops - then there is a GREAT chance that you'll also have antifreeze in the lube - something that the inside of a compression-ignition engine REALLY doesn't like.

Regards,
David

alphadeltaromeo

I have a cat track loader that has quite a bit of tranny and motor oil that i can use in the future. What containers would you recommend? 55G plastic drums or?

JDToumanian

Ahh, thanks Gary. I thought maybe I had discovered the "Spinner II" here on SS, but I bookmarked it and forgot where it came from. I do remember that thread. I don't have room for a washing machine sized unit, and I'm not sure enough g-forces would be developed to separate soot anyway. I dunno if I want to dump black gunk in my tank either. The filter sock idea would work, but if I bought socks that could filter out the soot I think they would clog quickly and that would add up cost wise.

Personally, I guess I'm most curious about centrifuges... What are Desert Rat and Ken using? I'll be keeping my weather eye on eBay, maybe a used "Spinner II" will come up...

Jon

devilman96

I don't know how many times I have seen this subject come up but I keep wondering why everyone over looks the obvious and shoots straight for the overly complicated...

It is far easier to use a set of hydraulic filters in series with a low volume pump and get a absolute micron filtering of 3 micron... Which I think is way over kill but again there are absolute 5 and 10 micron spin on filters too...

2 hydraulic filters... say a 10 micron and a 5 micron... 2 hydraulic filter heads.... a low volume chemical pump (12, 24, 110V) and you have a light weight, portable recycling system which is easy to store, easy to use and easy to change filters on and well under 300$. If ya wanted to be really crafty you could plumb and mount set up right on the truck.

Why screw with bags, yes the bags are cheap... but the canisters that hold them are $800-$1000, not using the canisters gets you one big mess!!! Coffee filters... 30-40 micron with the weight of the oil? why bother, your oil filters are that! A centrifuge unit, yeah sure if you happen into one on GL or some other surplus source but for most of our luck hitting the right 6 digits on the lottery is more likely...

Im not trying to knock anyone... I just don't get why good old KISS (keep it simple stupid) is always being over looked on this subject.

cbvet

I too would much prefer a simple setup. Just want to be sure I don't wreck anything, so I have more questions. Remember, I'll be getting the used stuff from an auto repair shop, so it'll probably be pretty dirty.
1. Wouldn't hydraulic filters plug up pretty quickly? Some sort of prefilter maybe?
2. What about water separation? It's always possible some fool would dump antifreeze into the tank.
3. Has anyone come up with & ACTUALLY USED a simple low cost setup for drain oil?
I understand the repair shop usually has to pay a company to pick up the used oil. He'll be glad to give it to me .
This whole idea of cheap fuel really fascinates the frugal side of me.
Thanks guys,
Eric

cbvet

Alphadeltaromeo,
I really don't know yet. It's a small but busy shop, so probably all I need. A SeaBee buddy of mine works for a forklift repair company, & I could get a lot of drain oil/ hydraulic oil/brake fluid mix from them, but I don't know if the brake fluid would be safe.
Just found a guy nearby with used 55 gallon steel or plastic drums for $8 each.
Eric

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Be aware that the drums, especially if left sitting on the ground, will have internal condensation issues.

Regards,
David Doyle

cbvet

David,
I'm sure you're right about that. So maybe the"filtered" oil in the drums should be run through a final filter/water separator as it's being pumped into the truck's tank? Any thoughts on the best filter setup for that?
Eric

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found that if let the oil sit undisturbed for at least a week most water will settle to the bottom. I only draw oil from the top of the barrel by putting my barrell pump up high. I use coffie filters from the containers to my barrels. This traps most sludge and clumps. Before i got the centrafuge i only used coffie filters. And i had some trouble with primary fuel filters plugging early. I just kept spares under the seat and swapped them out on the side of the road when i started to loose power.

houdel

I use filter bags from McMaster Carr. They have a series of HD 2-in-1 filter bags that include a 5/1 micron bag. That is a 5 micron inner bag to filter out the coarse stuff and a 1 micron inner bag to get out the fine stuff for improved bag life. Yes, bags without a cannister are messy, I'm working on a cannister made from 6" PVC pipe which should end up in the $30-$40 price range and allow me to use the 5 1/2" x 32" bags (they are $11.38 each, fairly reasonable, and McMaster Carr doesn't shaft you on the shipping). Heating the oil before filtering speeds up the process tremendously!

For the McMaster Carr bags go to http://www.mcmaster.com/, under "Pumping and Filtering" click on "Filter Cartridges and Bags" then go to page 344, the 2-in-one bags are at the bottom of the page. Note that the 5/1 micron rating is nominal, so expect a 5 micron absolute on the bag, which is plenty adequate for the job.

rdixiemiller

I have a hand operated fuel transfer pump with a built in water separator/filter arrangement. Don't know the brand, a contractor left it at work 8 months ago and never came back for it, so my boss told me to take it home.
I let my oil settle, then pump off the top. Put 15-20 gallons in a drum, go fuel it up. I am pumping my pre-mix into the tank, this makes the mix thin enough to pump through the filter easier.

cbvet

Great info guys! Keep it coming.
I'm slowly-but-surely getting stuff together to make some cheaper fuel.
A buddy gave me a barrel pump, & another some 1 micron filters. I don't know what I'll be using yet, but I've spread the word & my friends are coming through with different things I may use. When I get started, I'll advise on progress.
Eric

jets1959

I too am interested in a cheap but effective system to clean my own waste oil and tranny fluid. A gravity system with spin on filters, five gallons at a time max, yet small enough to take along in my truck when the shumer hits the high speed rotating device. Any ideas would be helpfull:)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks