• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a members hmmwv? saw in virginia

ONTOS66

A turtle back with a .50 cal. That has to draw some attention. Someone has a real nice toy. I've seen a couple on e-bay with $30,000 plus price tags. Darn!

n3uka

i've seen a sweet 1 in MD but will let that person post his own pics.
Didn't have the 50 cal but it did have some great friends to play with.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say he is a moron driving with a .50 cal displayed like that.. It's all fun and games until the cops felony stop you, and you have a pistol pointed at you while they cuff you first, then ask questions later.... Just not worth it.

I put my .50 cal up while IN a parade, but I did go find the local PD, and let them check it out all they wanted to... They thought it was cool, and had no problems with it..

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I can see some officers getting a little excited about the 50cal, but this is Virginia not New York. The only law that I can think of with rifles is not to have it loaded in a vehicle. That is really a hunting law though as I can keep handguns loaded in a car loaded if visable as much as I want.

That is one nice looking truck.

ida34

RE: Hmmwv

It may be legal to go around with fake cuts on your face but when the emergency services people get called off real calls because of checking on you it is a bad idea. Do not ride around with real or fake guns on ring mounts. It will bring way too much negative attention to our hobby and we already have to convince people that you don't have to be in a militia to own a military vehicle. Several cops running lights and sirens to catch up with this fool does nothing except put the general public at risk. When they do catch up with you they will not be very happy and will pull you out at gunpoint in a felony stop situation. Right or wrong you will be the one proned out on the highway and you will be the one causing the road to be shut down for an hour while everything is sorted out.

Nice Humvee though and I do like the ma deuce. I just wish the person would put it up until he gets to the show or such. I am legal to carry a pistol but that does not mean I pull it out and wave it around. I would also say with some authority that all officers that come across this .50 without knowing the situation will get nervous and react accordingly.

N1265

Why not just put an orange tip on the end of the .50 ? ( if a replica ) then the skittish soccer moms and police officers would know not to be afraid......

I wonder how many calls were made to the Police on the day the picture was taken ? Probably none.

CGarbee

A buddy of mine sticks a carnation in the barrel of his M2HB, but otherwise doesn't worry about it driving around. Having been born and raised in VA, I can say that most everyone who sees the vehicle pictured above will assume that it belongs to an active duty unit...even though it has a tag on it... Same if it is driven down to NC...

Personally, I'd prefer that he put a cover on it, if for no other reason than to keep it pretty :) (and to keep folks from out of town from thinking that he is going to pop the hatch and takeout the commuter in front of him...) ;)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Hmmwv

Show me one AD unit that drives arround on Civilian roads off post with weapons mounted like that.... When I was in that was a FAST way to get in DEEP trouble, to include getting the Corps Commander involved....... There are rules about that sort of stuff.. While I like the humvee, his mounting the weapon makes all of us MV owners look like morons, and gives those who dont like us ammo to go to their political officials with make lives difficult for us with new "laws" againist what we do...

BKinzey

I can tell you here in Los Angeles, Kaliban there would be a fit thrown even if it had the required orange tip. Heck, even if it was completely orange! :roll:

What do I think? There is nothing wrong with it. Clearly it's not loaded (I can't tell if the bolt is open so I suppose it could have one round chambered).

The problem is firearms are not visible enough. So people "Ass-U-Me" there is something wrong. In many (most?) States that is a legal way to transport such a firearm.

The more firearm ownership is hidden the more out of the ordinary, and thus "evil", civvy firearm ownership becomes.

About 20 years ago I lived in Houston, TX. Pres Bush (Sr) came for a visit. The Secret Service pulled a guy over for having a hunting rifle in his Jeep's rifle rack. Holy Moley! :shock: He even said he was going "Hunting!" The SS dolts finally called the Texas Department of Public Safety (Highway Patrol in other States) who quickly informed them "Let him go!" It's perfectly legal in the Great State of Texas to travel that way.

Sorry but to many laws are passed to compromise. Then 2 years later compromise again, and again.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
:ditto:
If anything making making civilian ownership and carry being more visible is a good thing. VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) has actually made some good progress in reining in local jurisdictions trying to enforce laws that don't exist pressing the issue when officers depart from the law. In Virginia we have a quirk in the law where CHPs are not valid in restaurants that serve alcohol, but open carry is. So standard practice is to unconceal while having dinner (not getting drunk). Officers occasionally show up to investigate to find out nothing illegal is going on.

I don't know what a felony stop is, but I assume it is a stop where there is reason to believe that a felony is being committed. There are not any felonies that I could find in Virginia law that would be evident just by someone with a rifle on a vehicle. § 18.2-287.4. is the law on loaded rifles in a vehicle, and that is a misdemeanor.

Anyways my point is I reject the idea that displaying a firearm is bad. It is the decision and responsibility of the owner to decide what they want to do. I personally would not display except at events, but I am cool with his decision.

ida34

Felony stop is slang for high risk stop. Even if no violation is present a mounted M2 will be considered high risk. The police will show up in force and order all occupants out at gun point. The road will be shut down while each and every occupant is taken out at gun point. They are then required to walk back to the officers where they are handcuffed and put in separate cars. When all occupants are out of the car officers converge on the vehicle to make sure someone is not hiding. No amount of explanation will be heard until the vehicle is secured. Then they will listen to your story. Probably about 30 minutes of your life you will never get back and that is on the fast side. Even if the law broken is a misd the same procedure will be followed. If the gun is a replica the person will be given a stern talking to about brandishing firearms in public and release about an hour after the initial stop.

The one thing I have learned over the years is just because you know it is not a real gun it will invoke real fear in other people. This is why teenagers can commit armed robberies with air soft pistols even though they can't kill anyone. The person on the other end does not know the difference. Many people in this country do not "believe" in guns. If we flaunt them in these people's faces then you may push some on the fence people to the other side. Some of the people have a severe reaction to even seeing a firearm. Can we call them wrong for having their opinion? I say no. Being able to have a contrary opinion is the American way. At least try to see the other side. I am a C and R holder and collect military weapons. I wish I was in a state that was more full auto friendly but I am not. My point is I am not one of the liberals on this. I think a lot of gun laws are unnecessary knee jerk reaction to public outrage. We do not need to give them any ammunition for further weapons restricting laws or military vehicle restricting laws. There is a time and a place for everything but riding around with a replica M2 on top only gives them the ammunition to the people that want to take away our guns and military vehicles.

I also second the comment that no active duty unit will have weapons mounted while traveling in CONUS.

I do see something wrong with displaying this stuff publicly when not in a setting with like minded people such as a vehicle show or parade. I do feel that non-gun people do not need to be subjected to me pushing my hobbies on them just to prove that there is nothing wrong with my hobby to begin with. If I could afford an M2 I would get it. If I could afford a full auto M2 I would get it and shoot it. I would have a lot of fun with it. I would not mount it until I got to the show or parade. I guess we will have to disagree on this one. I mainly wanted to straighten out the felony stop question above. I am also a member of MCRGO and VCDL. We have been loosing ground with respect to gun laws for a long time. This tells me that the general public has wanted more restrictive gun laws. Again, I feel most of them are unnecessary and do not do what they were designed to do.We are fighting an uphill battle with respect to gun laws and military vehicle laws in this country. Lets not make the slope steeper than it already is.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It sucks that there are so many "TARDS" in todays society. I am in field support(computers) for a large corporation. Lots of people know me and lots talk about my M.V. hobby with me. It amazes me how many people think that guns are unnecessary and think that if a "bad" person comes to their home a simple call to 911 will fix everything. No wonder this country is going to hell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks