• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

undysworld

As many Wisconsin owners have been painfully aware, one of the side-effects of last year's HMV law was that many owners have been denied regular registration options for their former military vehicles. Tom Zat (Alfa Heaven) and I have been working with and without DOT to try to correct this problem. The time has come to share some of our efforts.

The following is excerpted from an email sent today to Wis. vehicle enthusiasts:

To All Owners,

Please pass this email on to concerned vehicle enthusiasts.

I've promised you big news, and it's finally happening. DOT introduced a bill this past Monday, and we don't want there to be confusion about it. Our work is totally separate. Please read the following two major announcements:

Public Announcement of OUR UPCOMING BILL.

Wisconsin's Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

Our bill is nearly finished, and will soon have an identifying number. At that time, we'll help you contact your legislator and register your support. Please do not contact them until we have the Bill number.

We can release a lot of the specifics. To read the official Analysis of the proposed bill, pleasehttp: MV Reg. Rights Act
You can also see who is involved at DOT, and read several quotes and emails from them.

We will provide the actual numbered bill soon. Again, please do not contact your legislators about this bill until we have an actual bill number. (Contacting them without a bill number causes confusion.)

HMV (Historic Military Vehicle) Registration News
Another bill has just been introduced into the legislature, which only effects former-military vehicles with HMV plates. We believe it has been introduced at the request of WisDOT, in an attempt to appease owners and lessen support for our efforts here. If passed, the bill will give vehicles with HMV plates only slightly expanded uses: parades, car shows, club activities, exhibitions, and tours. But no legal trips to Menards, or the drive-in.

We believe this bill is a good bill for people who want the HMV plate, and we support their efforts.
What we see as the problem with LRB3349/1:
We believe that vehicles which meet applicable equipment standards deserve the option to be registered for normal uses.

This bill is okay, as far as it goes. But, vehicles like Blazers and pickups, which meet applicable safety standards are still denied Annual, Collector, Hobbyist, or Farm plates as an option. Many people want these vehicles to use them, not just put them on display. This bill does not go far enough.

The HMV bill which was passed in 2010 allows the registration of former military vehicles, even if those vehicles do not meet applicable equipment requirements. It allows for very inexpensive permanent HMV registration, but because the vehicles may not meet requirements, it places extreme restrictions on the use of the vehicle.

But the majority of former military vehicles were built in full compliance with federal equipment requirements applicable for the year of manufacture, and meet current Wis. state requirements as well. These vehicles deserve the option to be registered for normal uses. This bill does not correct that problem. Our bill will.

zout

Congradulations on involvement - If I could give you a REP point with the new system I would.

Your fellow members need to be jumping on your wagon with support to tell them you are sick of complying.

Tanner

Rock on Paul! Good luck in the fight - it'll obviously be worth the effort to those in Wisconsin that want to use their vehicles for unrestricted daily use.

'Tanner'

ARYankee

Wow! You guys really got messed over up there with that first bill. Great job in trying to rectify it. Here in Arkansas we don't really have too many issues but I am thinking about attempting to see about getting us our own former military vehicle tag along with adjusting, possibly creating, some laws. I may be in contact with you if you don't mind to get some pointers so we don't end up messing ourselves over with any changes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its seems there is conflict in these two threads. One wants people to contact their reps. TODAY, and the other wants them to wait. I hope they can team up to have a unified front so the laws get passed.

This is not criticism, it is the only way I feel I can offer support to an issue I feel is important.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its seems there is conflict in these two threads. One wants people to contact their reps. TODAY, and the other wants them to wait. I hope they can team up to have a unified front so the laws get passed.

This is not criticism, it is the only way I feel I can offer support to an issue I feel is important.
Post #1 of this thread refers to DOT , is that the U.S. department of transportation or Wis-DOT like refered to in the other thread kind of confusing who is doing what . I glad here in Michigan all they care about is how much money they can take from you.

The 2 threads kinda sound like they are working against each other , hopefully they can unite and get the whole law overturned and get the option of regular tags reinstated.

col.halftrack

The division in Wisconsin is a problem. Paul (undysworld) and his associates have a proven record of defeating the WisDOT attempts at restricting MVs. Everyone who stuck together with his bill last year succeeded in preserving their ability to use their MV. Those who compromised got just what they asked for.
The decision by WisDOT to run their bill out in front of the bill drafted by Paul/Tom et al is unfortunate. Hopefully those in Wisconsin that realize the importance to our hobby of MVs having real usefullness will see the importance to stand together and draft statutes that force the DOT to issue title and registration to MVs just as they would to any other contemporary vehicle.

This subject is confusing, but this is what I think I understand.
There are 2 seperate issues: 1) This thread. Vehicle Registration. 2) Catman's thread. Change of use, for a HMV (Historic Military Vehicle) licensed vehicles.

Issue 1 is not ready for us to contact our Legislators, while issue 2 is ready.

Both are important issues, for our hobby. The HMV license is very restrictive as written, So more vehicle uses is more better. Of foremost importance, is being able to register these vehicles (this issue is of concern to other vehicle type owners also). After the vehicles are registered the licensing issue becomes a matter of choice, for the owner.

Any energy spent on power struggles, between the parties involved, is a total waste. We should have our cake and eat it too.

poof

Dirty Hippie

Both are important issues, for our hobby. The HMV license is very restrictive as written, So more vehicle uses is more better. Of foremost importance, is being able to register these vehicles (this issue is of concern to other vehicle type owners also). After the vehicles are registered the licensing issue becomes a matter of choice, for the owner.

Any energy spent on power struggles, between the parties involved, is a total waste. We should have our cake and eat it too.
:ditto:

undysworld

Thanks for the input guys. To reply:

There are 2 seperate issues: 1) This thread. Vehicle Registration. 2) Catman's thread. Change of use, for a HMV (Historic Military Vehicle) licensed vehicles.
Correct.

Its seems there is conflict in these two threads. One wants people to contact their reps. TODAY, and the other wants them to wait.
To be clear, there are two bills progressing. They are separate, and do not interfere with each other. The identifying numbers of the bills are different, and the timing will be different. Stay tuned, and pay close attention, because they could move very quickly through the legislature. Up to date info on the Registration Rights Act will be available at Alfa Heaven's site.

Please check with Catman's thread for the details on the HMV bill: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politics-related-mv-hobby/82276-wisconsin-new-hmv-amendment-introduced.html

At this time, our bill does not yet have an identifying number, and we DO NOT want people to contact their legislators yet. Thank you.

The division in Wisconsin is a problem.
The division in Wisconsin certainly was a problem last time around. But I see no reason for division now. There doesn't seem to be a reason to focus on it.

Jeff's bill is fine, and doesn't interfere with this bill. It is just of limited application. We wish him well on his efforts.

Our bill addresses different concerns, and we believe it will be a benefit to owners of military as other other vehicles. We'll throw it out there, and then it's up to citizens to support it if they like it.

Paul Underwood

trukhead

Thanks for the input guys. To reply:

Correct.

To be clear, there are two bills progressing. They are separate, and do not interfere with each other. The identifying numbers of the bills are different, and the timing will be different. Stay tuned, and pay close attention, because they could move very quickly through the legislature. Up to date info on the Registration Rights Act will be available at Alfa Heaven's site.

Please check with Catman's thread for the details on the HMV bill: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...6-wisconsin-new-hmv-amendment-introduced.html

At this time, our bill does not yet have an identifying number, and we DO NOT want people to contact their legislators yet. Thank you.

The division in Wisconsin certainly was a problem last time around. But I see no reason for division now. There doesn't seem to be a reason to focus on it.

Jeff's bill is fine, and doesn't interfere with this bill. It is just of limited application. We wish him well on his efforts.

Our bill addresses different concerns, and we believe it will be a benefit to owners of military as other other vehicles. We'll throw it out there, and then it's up to citizens to support it if they like it.

Paul Underwood
Thanks a bunch for your effort!! :jumpin: :)

Have you thought about the distinction of limited private use, regular private use and the commercial use? I think the M1009-08-28-31 and 880 and such should be considered for unrestricted private use as well as the the unrestricted titling, licensing of the problematic M35A3. The rest of the deuces and bigger trucks should also qualify for unrestricted private use as well.
As for commercial use, I think the practicality would preclude their use but maybe the right of regular licensing should be considered as well.
When this legislation goes through, have you thought of continuing the process the get the Wisconsin Constitution amended to preclude future administrative sheeenanigans? aua

I've found persistence (keep on em, till thefat lady sings) pays and the present Wisconsin political climate is creating a class of junior politicians eager to please constituents.

2cents NOT:deadhorse: :grd: :D

undysworld

Truckhead,

This bill will essentially make military vehicles get treated just like civi vehicles. Anything big enough will fall under Federal motor carrier rules. But we've got Dept. of Defense documents which prove that military tired (not tracked) vehicles up to and including 5-tons meet FMVSS requirements.

So your military vehicle will have to meet the exact same requirements as civilian vehicles. In case you get a denial (on vehicle condition or equipment reasons), you simply take the vehicle to your local law enforcement officer who fills out a checklist, and if you pass it DMV has to issue you registration.

The official bill is out, and I'll post it next. Stay tuned.

undysworld

Our bill is now drafted, and and Sen. Grothman's office is looking for legislative co-sponsors. We need your help in urging your legislative representatives (Senator and Assembly Rep.) to co-sponsor this bill.

Please note, this is the first of several steps we need to take. Your support is critical. Please stay tuned for additional actions.

This is the official Legislative Alert, sent today by Sen. Glen Grothman to citizens.

February 3, 2012

ATTENTION WI MOTOR VEHICLE ENTHUSIAST:

You are receiving this email because you have contacted our office in the past regardingyour concerns about TRANS 123 (which has been temporarily defeated) or other vehicle registration issues. Your action is needed to support a bill that is being introduced by Senator Glenn Grothman.

ACTION ITEMS:

1. See the memo below circulated to the legislature today which includes a summary of the bill. If you would like to read the bill it is attached to this email. NOTICE THE SHORT DEADLINE, PLEASE ACT NOW!

2. Contact your both of your Wisconsin State Legislators and tell them to COSPONSOR LRB 3267/1. If you don't know who they are please follow this link: Who Are My Legislators?

3. Forward this email to all of your friends and family and ask them to do the same.

4. Stay tuned for more alerts in the following weeks as we garner support for the bill and move it through the legislative process. We will need your help in the future!

Thank you for your attention and if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact our office at 608-266-7513 or sen.grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov

<<11-32671.pdf>>

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 11:47 AM
To: *Legislative All Assembly; *Legislative All Senate
Subject: SHORT DEADLINE Co-Sponsorship of: The Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act LRB 3267/1

608-266-7513 or sen.grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov

DATE: February 3, 2012

RE: Co-Sponsorship request for LRB 3267/1 The Registration Rights Act

SHORT DEADLINE: Thursday, February 9, 2012.

Currently Wisconsin offers many ways to register vehicles; regular, hobbyist, collector, farm, etc. Many types of motor vehicle registration impart operating restrictions ranging from regular registration, which is minimally restrictive, through HMV registration in which a vehicle can only be used to and from special events.

Up until a few years ago Wisconsin residents enjoyed the freedom to own and proudly drive on the roads their vehicle of choice. Due to WI DOT cutting budgets and nonsensical internal philosophies, the agency has been relying more and more on their computer technology to cut corners. This is very problematic when dealing with the large variety of vehicles on the road today.

Many citizens are being improperly denied the registration of their choice based on such insignificant factors as a radio, color, or hubcaps. I found that most of the problems stem from the WI DOT's interpretation of prohibitions based on vehicle condition or equipment and in many cases the citizen's options for proving compliance are limited or impossible. In other cases, vehicles that were previously registered here in Wisconsin are now being denied registration upon change of ownership.

WI DOT's actions have adversely affected citizens, and have had a detrimental impact on the agricultural, forestry, construction, and automotive industries. Their actions have also lead to multiple costly as well as time consuming appeals and ongoing problems for constituents.

This bill was created to address numerous citizen concerns as to the registration of motor vehicles in Wisconsin.

LRB 3267/1 Does the Following:

Repeals a state statute that contains an obsolete reference in law, and has created confusion and misapplication.
Repeals a statute that has taken legally-complying vehicles off the road.
Prevents monetary losses to citizens encountered when a formerly-legal vehicle is reduced to non-highway-legal status for the sake of clerical convenience within the department.
Gives residents the ability to have second chance if the DOT denies registration. The bill repeals two prohibitions which were problematic for motor vehicle owners and instead applies an existing inspection procedure to determine minimum applicable standards to make a vehicle eligible for regular registration. This bill still allows the DOT to deny registration if they have concerns about vehicle condition or equipment, but in the event the application is denied; LRB 3267/4 provides a simple and low-cost way for the owner to verify compliance with the requirements.
Reduces fiscal impact by the citizen bearing the cost of an inspection versus the state employees expending substantial time and resources to determine eligibility.
Makes a change to the requirements for collector car registration by allowing vehicles which have been minimally modified (such as for improved safety or drivability) to register as a collector, so long as they do not substantially alter the vehicle. Thus, remaining true to the intent of the collector plate registration.
If you would like to cosponsor LRB 3267/1 please contact Sen. Grothman's office at 608-266-7513 or sen.grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov by Thursday February 9, 2012.

Last edited:

undysworld

I'm having trouble posting the bill. It will be available at Alfa Heaven's site as soon as Dale gets done with lunch and posts it. EDIT: She's done, and it's posted!

Click here for the actual bill.

Please note: If you've visited the site recently, you may need to hit "refresh".

Last edited:

trukhead

I'm having trouble posting the bill. It will be available at Alfa Heaven's site as soon as Dale gets done with lunch and posts it.

Click here for the actual bill.

Please note: If you've visited the site recently, you may need to hit "refresh".
WoW! :) Thanks for the effort! :not worthy:

How does one learn to speak leagalize? auafat lady sings:confused::-?:roll::-?

Again, thaks for the effort!!8)

undysworld

Trukhead,
How does one learn to speak leagalize?
You don't want to know, cause then we'd have to kill ya. :razz::razz:
Trust me, it's been under duress.

Any thanks should also be directed to Tom Zat, as he's carried a HUGE lot of this load. :beer:

We've done what we can, and now it's up to all you guys. Pass the info along, and keep up the efforts.

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks