• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Multifuel Turbo?

1985mustanggt50

Would like to wake up my M54a2 a little more, done a lot of searching but havent come up with much. Looking for suggestions on a bigger turbo for my truck, piping isnt a big concern as it will be intercooled but the right flange for the manifold is. I would be happy with the C turbo sound but not the power, could someone change the impeller on my stock turbo? Any ideas or thoughts?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the turbo with the wastegate? If so your pretty much maxed out. You can increase the fuel rate to get more power. The turbo will preform much better. Installing a bigger turbo will need more heat to run at it's best. You limiting factor is the head gaskets. Multis dont like too much boost. Try increasing te fuel rate. You will be suprised the difference it will make.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you adding an effective inter-cooler? What did you do about the coolant controlled intake manifold? Did you make a custom intake manifold?

How much boost do you make now? How much do you think you want?

Is your max fuel rate turned up now? What's your max egt now?

1985mustanggt50

The fuel has been turned up but with the addition of 16r20s it kills it down low. I can maintain speed very well once I get into the powerband in 5th but the big gap between 3-4 is a bear, even shifting 3-5 low to 4 high.

It has a wastegated turbo on it now. Honestly the swap would be 70% sound and 30% for the power. Ive considered just adding an intercooler and meth since my supercharged vette runs meth as well, I buy it by 55gal drum.

1985mustanggt50

doghead, I havent really looked into the cooler much yet, just an idea. Dont have a boost gauge yet but with 75/25 oil/dsl mix it would max around 1000egt. Ive since been running almost straight dsl and its putting me around 1100-1150 hammered after 4 gears

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires are your problem, not your turbo!

Other have just accepted the bigger tires kill it.

Usually umo runs hotter than diesel.

You need a bigger/different motor and better trans.

A different turbo is not going to help you, and more boost or fuel will just over temp you.

1985mustanggt50

Thanks! I figured somebody here would have some knowledge, just couldnt find any previous posts!

What is the max egt I should be looking for? After I get into 5th I can cruise easily 51-53mph around 2300rpm and egts around 8-900

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, max temp is a debatable topic but, for basic info. Aluminum(your pistons) melts around 1200 F(depending on alloy).

I personally try to stay below 1150 on my pre turbo egt meter.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had a schwitzer 4LE-303 on mine. It wasn't to bad, but just about any truck with 16.00s regardless of engine is going to lose some power, the multifuel is just more of a dog though. Needless to say I will be curious to see how the 250/275hp and 900ftlbs from a DT466 will run with them, but ill have an intercooler so it should keep the egt's down.

1985mustanggt50

So from what ive read on here, switching to a C will pretty much net the same power? I was under the impression the 5T trucks had a bigger/diff turbo than the deuce multifuels and made 20-30 more hp?

cidrich

1985m your truck has a D turbo. I have worked on this truck and look at the turbo. The fuel has been turned up quit a bit. Ryan couldnt get the EGT's to get over 1000 even with the fuel turned up. I know my Deuce is lighter but mine has 16R20's on it and it pulls and runs great! My fuel has not been turned up and the motor is all stock except for spin on oild filters. Some of the LDS's had waste gated turbo's on them but I dont know if it will help or not. Everyone says that the C turbo makes boost faster on bottom end and the D does it on top end. I have driven both C & D trucks and I cant tell the difference. Except for the noise.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the Head of Dog says, max EGT is debatable. I keep mine at or below 1100 as that is where the yellow line on my pyrometer is, so it is easy to keep an eye on it.

eddiec

I dont know about the 5 tons, but when i switched my C turbo for a new waste gate turbo on my deuce ther was an outstanding difference. I would imagine the outcome would be similar for you.
But as mentioned, the taller, heavier tire takes quite a bit more power to turn than the 11.00's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks