• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stryker Light Mount on M923 Project

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a couple of very cool Stryker spotlights from usmctopgun [thanks Gunny!] bought a couple of different lights from him, he is great to deal with.

So now it is time to get them mounted. The M923s being surplussed out right now have a pedestal mount behind the cab that was for some secret comms thing, probably a GPS antenna or, well I don't know. I bet one of you fine gentlemen can enlighten me on that.

It looks like a great platform for mounting a searchlight, but it is a bit too low. The top of the base is right at cab top height, and the light won't reach out front well, and would be totally blocked once I get the Very Pristine Cargo Cover installed that I bought from the Estimable Popacom. There's another prince of a guy, great to trade with. Wish we lived closer. So now that the shout-outs are done, how about some pics?

This first pic shows the existing pedestal. Right now it is 54" off the rear deck. The cargo covers are usually around 60", so without an extension, the spotlight won't shine back at all, it will just burn a hole in that Pristine Cargo Cover Yet To Be Installed.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This next pic illustrates that the current pedestal height is right now at 109", just over 9' from the ground. When I am done adding 18" of height and installing the 1600 tires, it will be right at 11'0". That's pretty high. I am going to have to be real careful about the Starbucks drive through canopy.

I am going to make it as high as I think it might need to be, then I can cut it off shorter if needed.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After taking my measurements I pulled the pedestal off of the truck, removed those really cool magnets, and made a mark where I am going to cut it. My wife was just delighted to see me drag another Army Truck Part into the kitchen. She is very patient.

The plan is to cut it right where the nice polka dotted tape is. The tubing is 2 1/2" square. That is just right for a 3" tube to slip over it if I can find something with about a .125 or so wall thickness. He doesn't know it yet, but I am going to see if I can talk YOUNG GUN into helping me with this part of it. Surprise!

I am thinking to overlap the cut by 3" on each end. Figure I will drill and tap the 2 1/2" tube on each side, both ends with say... 3/8" SAE threads. I will then run a bolt in on each side to keep it from wiggling. Will also drill and tap another set of bolt holes down towards the bracket on the right side of the photo. That should give me the ability to lower the light by 6" in case it is just too high with the 18" lift.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
United States Army’s Movement Tracking System (MTS)
Thats where the GPS Transceiver mounts to.
Thanks!

And... Not any more!!!

So there is another idea I have that I am going to try and work into this project. I have been wanting some amber convoy lights. Dunno why, just like them. Saturn surplus has some cool ones already on pedestals that could be adapted. Somehow. Any ideas on how to mount a couple of these on an M923?

Edit: Thought this over, going to start a separate thread on this.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks