• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air brake conversion

I have a wedge brake axle set up from a 939 series rear drive.
also have a front drive axle set up off same series.

the rear set up has central inflation.
the front does not.
the drums are different betwen the two set ups. any clue if the front backing plates will bolt up to an old style steer axle? (at first look they should)

was there more than one style of drums used?

I need to convert one of my trucks over to air brakes and thought this would be the easyest way.

I dont have other 939 trucks here to look at so I will be thankful for any help.

been a long time since ive worked with wedge system but I think it can be sorted out.

I also have been looking for plumbing diagrahms with out much luck.

timothy1

Going to watch this thread as kind of like to do it to my tractor.

91w350 might have to talk to you about road trip in couple weeks if price ain't bad on something like that after taxes come home.

Hammer

another question I have is why is there air to both sides of the diaphram on the service brake canister? Is the back side fitting just a remote vent or some type of positive pull off?

I will put up a few pictures later tonight.
If you mean the ones on the rear axles, then that is for the maxi brakes (parking brake).
By applying air to those, it releases the spring tension from the maxi (the second air can), and releases the brakes to work as normal.
If air pressure is lost, or you remove air pressure (pushing in the parking brake) then it allows the springs to apply and hold the brakes, fully locked up.

Trango

This is a very good opportunity to mention that the information associated with a CDL is very helpful for anyone working with air brakes. Whether or not you go through with the process of getting one, going through the preparatory learnings for a CDL will teach you the difference about Foundation Brakes, Service Brakes, Spring Brakes etc etc, and in doing so will help you learn an incredibly valuable skillset.

If you mean the ones on the rear axles, then that is for the maxi brakes (parking brake).
By applying air to those, it releases the spring tension from the maxi (the second air can), and releases the brakes to work as normal.
If air pressure is lost, or you remove air pressure (pushing in the parking brake) then it allows the springs to apply and hold the brakes, fully locked up.
the line I was talking about is on the back side of the service brake diaphram. these play no role in the maxi/parking brake.
turns out they are plumbed this way for a remote vent according to another member who owns a M939 truck. this makes sense to me. so one more question put to rest.

Now i need to sort out what dash valves will work with the axle relay valves. the bendix book only listed 2 that they say will work with this particular relay valve. not sure why yet but Im looking into it.

the good news is-- the relay valves do work even after sitting for a few years. and they are still available thru heavy truck parts suppliers for about $100 if needed.

No pics yet as i seem to have misplaced my patch cord for my camera.:-(

I did however find a photo of an service brake can like im working with.
this is on a trailer axle but is the same type.

you can see the fittings with the blue plugs in them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

Ah, ok. I see now from your picture what you are talking about.
Probably for the potential for a fording kit maybe?

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a very good opportunity to mention that the information associated with a CDL is very helpful for anyone working with air brakes. Whether or not you go through with the process of getting one, going through the preparatory learnings for a CDL will teach you the difference about Foundation Brakes, Service Brakes, Spring Brakes etc etc, and in doing so will help you learn an incredibly valuable skillset.
Would love to see pix of your next build.

found the parts to load pictures.

easy to see the differences in the 2 drum types.
I dont know how many types of drum/shoes were used but heres two!

dont laugh to loud at me about my axle stand. it beats sitting my butt on the ground.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks