• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inverter Help.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so you did ask..

Executive summary:
Warning: The buy it now price is too high. Bid carefully. Perhaps $150 would be a good deal cosidering it is surplus and not really new.
warning: A high probability exists that it is not every last thing that is claimed to be, but rather, a basic inverter of common quality.
Warning: marketing hype!

Just ask some questions, like if they are new in the box, where are the box? New and never used?

I will only addres the questionable claims made and perhaps make a technical comment or two. If I believe something is unquestionable or "good", I won't comment on it. I'll just try to carve away the crapola.

SERIES #SFW -
Semi-full sine wave inverters -
(Comes with cables but battery is not included)

[][][]Who's series SFW is this? you know, someone named it, so I would like to know more. In my search, I did find a General purpose Flux Vector Control, but more about that later. I could not find this inverter anywhere, but that does not mean anything.

You are looking at a 1400/2800 peak / compact (mil/spec) power inverter that
can take power from lead acid batteries and turn it into household AC power.

[][][]What mil spec was that? Is there a contract number or manufacturer please?

This inverter is made to fit U.S.A. Military Specifications.

[][][]Oh, um, yes, that spec please? MIL-STD 810, well, no, that is for water reststance, but which spec was it?

99% of all power inverters you have ever seen come from a gigantic company in Taiwan.

[][][]No they don't, they come from 50 or 60 factories in Taiwan, and just as many elsewhere, wherever labor is cheapest.

They market their goods under hundreds of popular brand names but they are all made in the same factory.

[][][], um.. no...

Our inverters differ from the Taiwanese designs since we use fewer but more powerful transistors and this allows the unit to be half the physical size of other units in the same wattage range.

[][][]How many transistors? 8? or maybe really 20 or more like the well-known cheapies? Besides: wattage, efficiency, thermal resistance (cooling capability) and maximum allowable temperature define size, not the number of transistors. Your unit looks about the same size really as the typical inverter of that class. In the end, the only thing that makes the ones with 20 transistors different than the ones with 8 transistors is how easy they are to repair. And most people don't repair them.

Further more, this inverter is a semi-full sine wave (See which gives you more power as your load increases! Our inverter does not look like any inverter you have commonly seen. No fancy flashing lights on this model, we spent the extra money making it indestructible and creating a smart wave form generator that automatically adjusts itself during heavy loads to give you more power! Ideal for your car, emergency power loss and camping, natural disasters and emergencies.

All components are computer protected so it is impossible to blow this one up.

[][][]But wait -your diagram on the web page has the word "KABOOM" in it.

It also has a powerful built-in cooling fan WHICH only runs if the inverter gets hot. This feature save lots of battery power during idle times. The fans on other inverters run continually wasting tons of battery power yearly. This inverter has a very SMART micro computer!!!

These inverters have an active wave form. The semi-full sine wave type changes wave forms as appliances start demanding more power during the time of active loads. At rest it has 6 simple steps per cycle which saves you lots of power during idle times. Now when at full power it changes to a full sine wave which really helps motors and electronics stay cooler work better, that is when you need a full wave form the most. Having a full sine wave during idle time is a BIG 30% waste of power! Old style full sine wave type units are horrible power hugs! The active wave of our semi-full sine wave inverters is smart and changes only as appliances start demanding more power. Saving power when at rest and widening the wave form to full width sine when you need it most puts this inverter in a new class. Its all about saving energy!

This may finally be the last power inverter you have to buy! Rated for super long 25 year service factor and that is running it 24/7 non-stop!
These units were made to fit u.s. navy military specification #NAVSO P-3641a (cots/ndi) so they had to be tough.

[][][]Ok, there's the spec. Can anyone on the BBS find this spec anywhere?

Conforms to U.S. Navy / b.i.t. built-in-test requirements so the unit performs its own diagnostic every time it is turned on.

[][][]I thought that is called a B.I.T.E. test.

This inverter comes in original box, never used. Uncle Sam was quoted $1200.00 a pop for
these little jewels but they are now surplus and come with a 30 day exchange only warranty.

[][][]Yes, you were going to display evidence of that invoice, right? For that money there better not be any foreigh parts in it, and it better have a glass epoxy circuit board. Oh, BTW, where are the pictures of the insides so we can see how few transistors it has and see how well it is made?

[][][]]]][[][][

Ok, cut that one to shreds.. Maybe it's a good inverter, but without more data, a name brand, or some kind of reference material like an online manual, who can say if it is any better than any 1400W truck-stop inverter? Seller has a good reputation, so why not? No harm on paying the usual price for something like that, new in the box. Just don't be convinced you are getting a tough green box. (images of an 800 watt aforementioned green box to follow..)

Attachments

Outdoorbum

IMHO: I am in no way an expert here, so I will tread lightly! I too needed an inverter and looked at these on Ebay. As always, I am never satisfied to look once and buy so I began to "Google" research it. I ended up buying from a company (the link is below) in Wilmington, NC. I am in Raleigh, NC and I got them the next day. I have no plans to leave the inverter in my Deuce so the standard cables will be used (merely just battery clamp connectors). The price was good, new stuff and they will stand behind it. Also has three (3) blade type fuses that can easily be replaced. I got the ML900-24 for $89 bucks (at that rate it is worth it just to see if it works).

http://www.voltageconverters.com/inverters_110v.html

What you think?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ken:
This inverter is made by the company that makes them for the Army, We have had them installed in some of the new big trucks and they are inverter/ charger which is a nice feature. The problem I see with the ones on ebay are that they look too much like Harbor Freight ones that go on sale for way less than what he is asking. The concept of an inverter powering the city is thought provoking and in no place did I see the efficiency of the inverter but I recon with copper loss and the charging requirements to keep even a fork lift battery charged for this demand make commericial power seem reasonable. Don't fight new coal generation stations we have over 500 years worth of coal reserve in America and the new clean coal technologies make it environmentally sustainable.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/128/p/1/pt/10/product.asp

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have been into alternative energy for many years. The inverter that will be going in my new shop is a Trace. If these are built by Trace and are reasonably priced I would jump on them. Trace is the last word in inverters IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks