• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat soft top install

JR Scout

Trying to put a soft top on my Goat that was received open air- no windshield, no top, no frame. Question involves attaching the leading edge of the top to the windshield. I see the channel at the top of the w/s, and I see the very small tube/loop sewn into the front of the top. I've had 2 soft tops on IH Scouts, and both had a similar arrangement that required a flange inside the front of the top to keep it in the windshield channel.
My top and frame kit didn't have anything to go in the tube in the front edge of the top. I tried threading a coat hanger wire through, and it was like trying to push the proverbial spaghetti through a straw- too tight to go more than about a foot. Trying to tuck the lip under the channel without anything to keep it rigid doesn't work, either.

The parts manual doesn't show anything threaded through the top, and my service manual only refers to some other level manual for installation instructions. So...am I missing a piece, or do I need to do a better job stuffing the front edge of the top into the windshield channel?

On a related note, the vertical door braces just hang about an inch off the top edge of the cockpit (?). Again, my manuals don't help in determining what may or may not be missing.

As always, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated- especially for any that actually work.

txmytx_catahoula

Any pics of what you're having to work with? While I've never messed with a Gamma, I did once have a Mutt and the leading edge of the canvas doors had a tube which was drawn, top to bottom, through a channel on the vehicle. Hope this helps!

1958 M274

The bead on the front of the top must be slid into the channel at the top of the windshield from one side or the other. It doesn't matter which side. It is usually easier if you have someone pulling on the end of the top while you feed and push it into the end of the channel.

You may have to fold over some sandpaper and run it back and forth through the channel to clean it out, especially if you have a used windshield that might have some rust in it. After doing that, a little silicone spray in the channel or on the bead at the front of the top will make things slide easier.

goat whisperer

The bead on the front of the top must be slid into the channel at the top of the windshield from one side or the other. It doesn't matter which side. It is usually easier if you have someone pulling on the end of the top while you feed and push it into the end of the channel.

You may have to fold over some sandpaper and run it back and forth through the channel to clean it out, especially if you have a used windshield that might have some rust in it. After doing that, a little silicone spray in the channel or on the bead at the front of the top will make things slide easier.
...and you should use some grease!

armytruck63

A couple more tips for top installation:
Spread the top out on the ground and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. This makes it more flexible and easier to work with.

Dish soap can also be used as a lube in the windshield channel. However, you may get soap bubbles in the cab the first time you drive in the rain.

JR Scout

Thanks for all the tips, now have the top secured in the front. Follow up question- the vertical pieces in front of the rear bow dangle about an inch over what looks like the receptacle hole in the sill. Am I missing a connector piece, or is my frame sticking up higher than it should?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks