• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd M135 - Is this top orginal?

carmen

SO what one do you think I should do first? In the body of this 2nd deuce is another m135 engine with transmission and transfer as well as the radiator. So I really can do two.

westfolk

Not an original hardtop. Or a Memphis one. Looks to be put together okay. The original, as well as the Memphis one, are a two piece design. These are very close to what an M35 has. This one looks to have been modeled using a Canadian softtop side and top frame. The original did not have a curve from side to side, or front to back. Very close to what is on M35s, etc., just a little different.

butch atkins

its an original,im sitting her looking at tb 9-2855 instructions for installation of hard top closure kit for 2 1/2 ton 6x6 cargo truck gmc snl g-749,i also have an original hard top for my truck,my top was made by superior coach corp in miss. in 1952,the ord tag for mine is located under the littlle window on the drivers side and is held by 2 rivets,stock #g-249 -5701466 , ord # 7355578 , the top consists of 4 pcs, 2 sides,top and back,adn is held together with 54 bolts nuts and washers,ther are also isulation pcs,5,and seals 2,,due to the unique arrangement of the cab construction i doubt that anything off of an m35 series would work,i could be wrong about this ,ihad an m35 water tanker and nothing was the same as the gmc,but if you try hard enough,you can make it happen,good luck with your project,keep posting

westfolk

What I said was that it was "close" to what's on an M35, etc. It is not the same top. And I doubt you could get it to work. Perhaps the Canadian tops were done different. I have not owned one. All mine have been U.S. trucks. They have all been(not counting the softtops)a two piece design. I have had a couple with Memphis made tops. They look close to one another, however when sitting side by side you can easily see the difference. The few Canadian trucks I have been in contact with that had hard tops looked just like mine, except the side windows. Just a question here.....how many different companies made the tops? Did each one do it a little differently?

butch atkins

sorry my answer was not very clear,in addition to the 4 pcs in my previos answer ,you also use the same side roof panels as the soft top,thats why they have holes drilled in thm ,and yes they do have the same curve front to rear,the top is also curved from side to side to match the windshield frame,i have a memphis equipment catalog,that has a really neat looking m211 with chrome wheels,and a custom made fiberglass top ,a color picture ,as to how many manufacturers ,who knows,i am going to a salvage yard that has 5 of these trucks in it 3 of them have hard tops,1 of the trucks is acanadian ,i have already taken its data plates on previous trip there,will look at all 3 and take pictures,i would post pages out of the tb 9-2855-17 if iknew how to scan them to this forum,to clarify this ,im not very computer literate,someone send me directions on how to post pictures,and scan pages to this site, i would like to post apicture of my truck, am going dec 20 to salvage yard 1 truck has complete winch assy and pto unit and all cab controls ,if anyone is interested,will keepscavenging parts off of all these trucks,got to go my finger is about typed out,merry christmas to all

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The top shown in the photos at the top of this thread is genuine GI issue - they were made just down the road from me. The Memphis Equipment top is a two-piece top which utilizes a M35 top, and a custom made rear panel which makes the transistion from the square cab back of the M135 to the round cab corner shape of the M35. Memphis is also just down the road from me, and they still have a few of these in stock. As I recall, the Memphis tops do not include the "opera windows". A couple weeks ago I helped a friend unpack a NOS GI top just like the one above - was like opening a neat little time capsule.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks