• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooler fitting on a MEP 016B diesel genset

Jim_in_Omaha

Hello all..
Working on the engine from my salvaged genset. The oil cooler has some fittings that I do not know anything about. They are like a cone type fitting with no threads or mechanical locking to them. There may have been some kind of sealent glueing them together? Anyway they just pulled apart on this thing. The female fitting on the outside is hex shaped for wrenching, on the other end it does have threads for like a 1/2 NTP connection.

How do I reconnect them?
thanks
Jim

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't those sweated on? I'll have to look at the one i have. Do you have any manuals for it?

Jim_in_Omaha

ken said:
Aren't those sweated on? I'll have to look at the one i have. Do you have any manuals for it?
They are aluminum or some kind of alloy. Both of them just pulled off without much effort. I have all the manuals. I'll look threw them again.
thx
Jim

derf

The parts manual calls that a "bushing, nonmetallic". It is probably a spacer of some sort or guide for the hoses to go through a plenum or something.
Probably protects the hose and/or fitting from rubbing on something. IIRC, the oil cooler is inside the scroll so maybe the lines pass through the scroll and the bushings protect them. I don't think they sweat on, more likely press fit or friction fit.

Last edited:

ETN550

The maintenance manual calls them "sleeves". See pic.
I looked at the 016B I have in my garage currently and also compared it to some pics I had of 2 others that I sold recently. They are not the same.

However, I believe this is a sleeve that assembles to be trapped between the fititngs when the hose is assembled to the cooler. The clamps that hold the cooler and hose to the housing fit over the sleeve. The one I have in my shop right now is set up this way but it also has an extra adapter fitting not shown on the parts picture. I think the function of the sleeves is to fit between the clamps and the fittings.

I'll post some pics when I get back in town on Wed. if not figured out by then.

jdsmith87

Derf & ETN I really appreciate it. It sounds like mine is the latter described. It just seems very easily disconnected for an oil line. I would like to know if you guys trust them or should I get some aftermarket hoses & cooler?

derf

Derf & ETN I really appreciate it. It sounds like mine is the latter described. It just seems very easily disconnected for an oil line. I would like to know if you guys trust them or should I get some aftermarket hoses & cooler?
The stock stuff is well engineered. You don't really need to upgrade the oil cooler, I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks