• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Allison pto

paradeduty

OK Gang - not sure if this should belong in the HOT RODDING section but here goes.

I need to relocate the Auxilliary Hydraulic Pump (for the Material Handling Crane (HIAB 650) and the Side Mounted Self Recovery Winch (Swiss Made)) on the 5-Ton HMTT (to be accurate - not HEMTT). It has become aparent that without major custom crafting and engineering, reattaching this pump to the front pulley of the engine crankshaft is not going to happen in my lifetime.

First and foremost is the lack of space. Originally, the pump sat in front of the engine and behind the flat perforated grill on the cabover. According to the trusty tapemeasure, less the length of the pump itself, this only leaves about 9 inches for a "pto" shaft and crank pulley adapter/yoke. Not a really easy shaft to have made. Then there is the issue of the crank shaft pulley itself. I did not think much about it, but my sources showed me that the threaded boss for an adapter to attach to on the pulley has 5 threaded holes where all of the available adapters they know of are 4 or 6 bolt. Alas, another custom adapter.

And all of the above would not directly correct the other problem - disengagement of the pump when cold starting/not in use. Originally, the truck used a prototype "magic gearbox" that was operated by air between the crank and the pump. I can just make out the shape of the gearbox in some of the pictures in the "manual". Unfortunately, the gearbox failed years ago and was not to be had when I picked up the truck. I could always pull the shaft or pull a "shearpin" whenever the pump is not needed - but re-alignment is going to be a pain.

All of this brings me to the point. With the TACOM (where it was built) show coming up this summer, I am trying to get the few things handled to get it back on the road (she runs great - 6V53T Detroit - starts on a dime). Now we come to the potential "hot rodding" part of the saga. The Allison in the HMTT is stated as being a model MT654CR. I have not been able (if there is any) to find out the difference between this and a MT654. The Allison Service Manual which is part of the original HMTT Manual is for a MT654 with no mention of a "CR"suffix. Should a "CR" be of note when concerning the trans? And if so, what does it stand for?

The reason that I ask is that I believe that the trans in the HMTT is the same as the one that came to be used in the 939(?) series 5-tons. What I didn't know until the other day was that the PTO access/mounting cover was on the passenger side not on the top as on the larger HT754 on the 10 ton wrecker. If it had been on the top as I thought, there would have been no room as the radiator on the HMTT sits BEHIND the cab over the transmission with a hydraulic fan (much as what came to be used on the LVS,PLS,and newer HEMTT/LVSR series all with radiators on top or on the side of the engines). But the side may have enough room. I can't imagine that the "CR" or not would have a difference in PTO options. Next question would be - who might have access to/for sale one of the 939 series front pto's. I believe the 5-tons used a divorced PTO and pump (using a PTO driveshaft) - I may end up looking for a "Married" pair to get things more compact.

Anyways - any suggestions would be more than welcomed!

Picture attached for those wondering what the **** I am talking about!

If you made it through reading this far, thanks. Dave.

Attachments

mudguppy

as to one of your first problems, getting a shaft made to fit within the ~9" is not a problem - i had to get a 'yoke shaft' made to serve as my custom jackshaft. the operating length was 8-3/8". it costs $400 because of the high cost of the splined shaft (~$250 alone). but it just slides into a yoke, with u-joints and flange... it's 1410-sized, and can be assembled in much lighter versions for [presumed] lower cost.

but, i know this doesn't address any of your other concerns... :???:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I can tell you that the transmission in the 923 I have is the MT654, don't know about the CR suffix. So it is a pretty common transmission.

What I suggest is that you find the regional Allison service center and make some acquaintances there. Get them interested in that very cool truck you have. They can help you with the business end of that transmission.

What a neat truck. It looks like a Kenworth cab on there. Thanks for the photos. Do you have more?

paradeduty

Hey there Beerslayer -

I thought it was kind of common - the only difference would be that the shift points on mine are set up for the two stroke Detroit as opposed to the four stroke Cummins. I think Damon ran into similar problems when he replaced the trans on Suart's HEMTT - shift points or something were off and it took a toll on the replacement trans.

But otherwise the trans should be the same. The truck was a test bed for a lot of "new" ideas so not surprising that the trans would surface in the "new" 5 ton 6 x 6. The other route I was considering was a "pony motor" in the bed of the truck (maybe build a "doghouse" to cover it) to run just the auxilliary hydraulics. There are some benefits to just leaving well enough alone as far as the trans is concerned. The winch and crane that would be run off of the aux hydraulics are both behind the cab anyhow, so hyd lines are actually easier to route than they were to the front of the engine bay. Plus they would be more up and out of the way of the winch cable as it gets routed to the front or rear down the frame rail as needed. But then there is another engine (however small) to deal with (start/run/stop, fuel lines, battery cables, maintenance). No huge deal, but it is "more" to consider.

I do have more pictures I can scrounge up off of my computer. Give me a little time and I will find them. Kind of getting slammed with work (deffinitely not a bad thing, but it cuts into the play time).

Dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks