• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need information about this 1941 GMC

stinsonb17

This is my first thread on a forum ever, so please be patient if I don't do this right.
I am trying to find some information on this 1941 General Motors Truck, Model CF-351. The plate reads "Truck-K-18C, 1 1/2 ton (LC) 4X2, Arm or Service Maintaining Vehicle, Quartermaster Corps." The date of delivery is " 8/15/41" and it was built by the Yellow Truck & Coach MFG. CO. The serial number is 035.
I am trying to upload pictures, so I hope that works.
Does anybody out there know anything about this vehicle?
P.S. Under all the coats of paint on the back, what looks like "US ARMY RECRUITING" is barely visible.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

February 20th, 2012.
:grin:
stinsonb17:

You have found yourself a fairly rare shop van built just before WWII for some branch of the service. One of these turned up on EBAY a while back and went for fair change in better shape. Many of the running gear components will be similar to the standard GMC COE truck of that size, the body is unique to this series of trucks. Let's hope David Doyle on here sees this one, as he is a walking encyclopedia on US Military Vehicles for about, oh the last 70 years. If there were more paint on the hood tops and sides you might be able to find the military branch and vehicle number, but I'm guessing US Army Or US Army Air Corps, OD with yellow or blue lettering...last guess would be US Navy...

Gents, now is the time to weigh in and give the man a hand on information... IF the price were right, I'd jump on it, but I am too far away and in a city....:jumpin:

chupa

I believe its a mobile small arms field repair shop. Looks all original, including black out marker light over left front headlight, tow hooks on bumper, van windows and rather rare eight-hole "Budd" rims. Its missing a massive flat military grill guard.

Stan Leschert

It looks like a 1941 GMC K18 Radio Van. Also used for shop work, command and control ... I think that another one of these was posted on this site 6 months ago, I'll try to search. There is a fully restored one in Vancouver BC. It was motorpool restored and running last spring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/westerncommand/5835179214/
Try this link, the truck is in the middle.

The owner of the restored truck is an MVPA member and is on a seldomly updated website called western command.
I have seen better pics of that truck, I just can't find them right now.

I last touched that truck on a Remeberance Day Parade 10 years ago!

That style of Radio Truck is pretty rare.

Most of the ones that were used were either a CMP C30, CMP HUP or a CCKW shop van.

David Doyle or Paul Farber might want to chime in here, as they know more than I could ever learn.

Last edited:

stinsonb17

I've owned this truck for about 30 years and have never had time nor money to make a camper, which was my first intention. I am glad I didn't. That would have been dumb. I would love to find someone who would restore it. It could be bought.

stinsonb17

Thanks everyone for the information. I have just recently gotten interested in MV's. My son is restoring an M-37 and I've recently purchased an M-38 A-1 which has been warehoused since 1954. (Yea!)
I had almost forgotten about the 1941 van (since it is parked on our farm which we still own, but no longer live there). Anyway, I've gotten curious about it. It is an unmolested vehicle with all its parts. Some rust, but not rusted out. Very restorable.
Thanks again for all the input. Would be interested in any further information or offers since I have no plans to restore it.
Bill

Wolfen

You will definitely need Pictures of the Engine Compartment, and the Interior. As well as Information on what condition the Engine and the Rest of the Drivetrain is in. As well as Details on the Rust. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks