• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip to Florida

EastCoastKaiser

I'm planning a road trip from Connecticut to Florida in mid January 2007. Unfortunately its in the old Town & Country though. aua Bringing the kids to Disney. Any suggestions on stops along the way that I might want to "accidently" come across? Museums or bases? How about down in Florida Orlando area?
Thanks!

devilman96

IMHO... If you are in Orlando Skyjunk is a must see... http://www.skycraftsurplus.com ... I sorely miss having that place down the road from me!!!

Sneak away for it... its usually jam packed and not a good place for kiddies, to many people and to many things to grab, pick up, knock over, etc...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
A stop in Baltimore is reasonable and the inner harbor has water taxi's that go around the harbor and give a good view of it. These are not the ones that capsized and killed people they were private charter ones with less experience and seawothyness. A visit to Fort Mchenry is nice from there as well as the Museum of Industry both accessible from the water taxi. It is right on the way too as I 95 goes right through Baltimore. Depending on how old the kids are there is a Hooters right there in the inner harbor too. If you want to go farther the new Marine Corp Museum at Quantico is a short distance from I 95 and about 30 miles south of DC.

ajg6989

fantasy of flight is good off 27 near groveland skycraft is ok they have some 24volt bulbs for 10cents a piece in mason jars but not all for the deuce. alot of 24volt invertors last time I was there though

JohnnyReb

I have to add my vote for Warner Robins AFB outside of Macon. I have been going there since it was just a B52 and a coupld of old Transports.

It is on the way, cheap and great chance to see vintage aircraft up close. The day will come when they restrict access to the old hardware..... Years ago I actually climbed in the bomb bay doors of the old BUFF!

poppop

Fort Stewart is not to far off I-95 and they have a nice museum with old vehicles and other articles of interest inside. Once on post you can ride around and see old tanks and half-tracks standing guard at some buildings. You can also ride by the motor pools and see rows and rows of modern stuff. Saint Augustine FL also has a neat old fort which is real close to the Ripley's believe it or not museum and the old part of town is beautiful.

EastCoastKaiser

Well we're taking off today to Florida. Thanks for all the points of interest. Not sure how much I'll actually be able to see on the way down but I'm definately checking out Skycraft Surplus once I get down there. If I come across anything interesting I'll take some pictures and post when I get back in about 2 weeks.

EastCoastKaiser

Just got back. Great trip, no snags. Really tough on the little ones though. Lotta hours cooped up in a car seat so all our stops on the way were geared for them. So I didn't get any stops in for myself. I did hit SkyCraft while down there. Great place, wish I had one closer. Could of walked out with a lot of junk but the van was already packed so I settled on some 24 volt bulbs. Saw a couple M37's on display at Universal Studios. One was an ambulance. Both converted into sorta an Indian Jones theme but mostly stock. Sorry, no camera handy at the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks