• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Korean War Helicopter Pic

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this picture going thru Dads war photos. Can't say exactly what it is but it looks to be a Bell 47 (MASH fame). Only thing written on it is "53". That's the year he was in Japan with the 24 on occupation duty. Anyone got any other ideas?

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out onto the WWW to get some comparative photos to try to get some better comparitve charactoristics. Most of these were from the Smithsonian and two are credited in the picture name. I appears tha Bell 47 B (MASH version) is what's in the picture
1. Bell 47 B, first production version before militarization...didn't do so well in production
2. Bell 47 B / H-13 military version courtesy of Spectre63, note wheels on landing gear
3. Bell 47 J / H-13 President Eisenhower's Helicopter, the First "Helicopter 1" (note wheels, or lack of on landing gear)
4. Sikorsky XR-4 Same time period, similar size note landing gear wheels
5. Sikorsky XR-5 Same time period, similar size note landing gear wheels
6. Bell 47J Ranger, note landing gear, with wheels
opps, pictures didn't come out as numbered, so left to right, top down: Bell 47 B Civilian; Bell 47 B Military; Bell 47 J Presidential; Sikorsky XR-4, Sikorsky XR-5 and Bell 47 J ranger

Judging from all these, the Bell 47 B (H-13) is what's pictured. I don't think any J's were in Japan during the 1953 time period.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this picture going thru Dads war photos. Can't say exactly what it is but it looks to be a Bell 47 (MASH fame). Only thing written on it is "53". That's the year he was in Japan with the 24 on occupation duty. Anyone got any other ideas?
Yup.... Move on to the next picture. LOL

Seriously.... I love looking through old photos and wondering what motivated the photographer to take that particular shot. No info about location, reason, date (in this case only guess at "1953") or any other "tracks".

Are there other pics of the same "vintage"?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can surmise a few thing about that shot, first, it was probably one of the first, if no the first helicopter he ever saw. Second, sorry, that's the only shot he got that I can find so far. and lastly, yes, there are other "period" photo's. As I posted earlier (somehwere or another) after his division was pulled off the line in Korea, they went to japan for occupation duty. One of the things that the Division had to do was stay prepared to go back, which they eventually did (Dad had seperated by then, his draft time was up). Anyway, he took lots of pics of the time they spent out on the training ranges. I can post some of those (especially the ones with jeeps and deuces if you'd like. Where should I put them?

quickfarms

Neat old helicopters

It is interesting how some styles, designs and layouts look almost current and how some look like antiques but they all led up to where we are today

vtdeucedriver

I can surmise a few thing about that shot, first, it was probably one of the first, if no the first helicopter he ever saw. Second, sorry, that's the only shot he got that I can find so far. and lastly, yes, there are other "period" photo's. As I posted earlier (somehwere or another) after his division was pulled off the line in Korea, they went to japan for occupation duty. One of the things that the Division had to do was stay prepared to go back, which they eventually did (Dad had seperated by then, his draft time was up). Anyway, he took lots of pics of the time they spent out on the training ranges. I can post some of those (especially the ones with jeeps and deuces if you'd like. Where should I put them?
This is why I suggested a "History"section of SS so all of the wartime pics such as gun trucks and stuff dont get burried under endless threads on how to BOB a 5 ton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks