• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking to get a mule

goatijoe

i would like to get a mule but i dont know how much is to much for one i dont wanna over pay or get a hunk of junk. is there any tell tell signs to look for when looking for them to find out if they are worthy or not. i know they are geting harder to get but i wanna get one before they are gone. i think that id be better off buying one of these than a 4 wheeler or one of those fancy golf carts or one of the side by sides. are they hard to keep up or do they just keep going and going.

ralbelt

There is one at the Gunn high way military surplus in Fl, runs , looks good, I have no interest in this just letting you know. I asked what he was asking, around $8,000.00

major519

Hi
I picked up a M274A5 at the end of last summer. I too, am a novice. There are lots of great mule owners out there that seem all too happy to help a newbie out. G503 Forum has a large mule community.
I knew next to nothing when I jumped at the chance to buy mine. My main guidelines came from previous experience in mvs. Body and drivetrain are number one. Missing parts can be expensive or difficult to obtain.
I bought mine sight unseen, except from a few pictures exchanged via emails. When I drove 15 hours to pick it up I was not disappointed.
To sum up a mule purchase, I would suggest the following as some basic guidelines;
-clean straight deck without dents, extra holes, damage or corrosion
-intact data plates
-all cover plates in place on the deck (Round armament cover, engine cover and brake cover if applicable)
-correct in place engine guard on rear
-good rims
-no visible damage to undercarriage
-all covers on engine
Mules typically have all sorts of leaking seals and gaskets which are easily replaced and not too expensive. Engines are available for around $1100 rebuilt or you can do it yourself quite easily as well. The mechanicals on these are relatively straightforward. There are lots of bits and pieces that appear to be quite cheap until you start adding them all up! Hence, the necessity for completeness. You can buy a nice runner typically for around $6000 to $7000 although I have seen many lately going for much more, as high as $10g.
I purchased mine, unrunning for $2000 and have about $4000 in parts into it including a rebuilt engine, but I am going for a complete factory restoration.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd talk to Dave Kelone, he has a bunch is a straight shooter. He is going to Aberdeen and POSSIBLY Sussex NJ. My advice...Get a good runner, as parts are $$$$$

asgtoolman

major519 has it right about what to look for
I purchased mine running for $4500 a couple years ago and spent about $2500 with Bill Watson buying everything in the world for it. First thing I did was convert to 4 wheel steer.
To me they are a pain with 2 wheel steer.
Mine is restored to the MAX and has added passenger seat and footbasket and driving lights.
Mine stays at my lake house on Lake Wateree [Camden SC] on HWY 97 less than an hour from you.
PM me and come down some Saturday and we'll ride around. I will probably be there next weekend, March 3.

goatijoe

asgtoolman pm sent . from what yall said it looks harder to buy a mule than it would be a car. but im not gonna give up are the motors complex to work on if i have to rebuild one or just simple like a b/s lawnmower motor.

asgtoolman

I would say more like working on a Volkswagen engine. Horizontally opposed, air-cooled, lots of shrouds to direct air. Fairly simple magneto system, once you understand it.
Parts WERE readily available from Bill Watson; have no idea now that he has evidently sold out.

major519

Dave Kelone stocks a lot of parts and there are a few others around who dabble. Ebay is a source except that they are usually inflated prices, the odd time a deal may come your way. Bill Watsons successor will be up and running soon from what I have heard.

Mules Rule

I have had my mule for about 4 years now. They are easy to work on and one tough vehicle. I use mine almost every single day. Mainly to do firewood and around the house. If you can get a runner and go from there. Having a straight, dent free deck is a big plus. Electric start is nice and 4 wheel steering is a must out in the field, turns on a dime. Expect to pay up to $6000.00 - $8000.00 for a real nice one, maybe more. Good luck and happy mule hunting. Let us know when you snag one, don't forget the pics.

John

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
I picked up a M274A5 at the end of last summer. I too, am a novice. There are lots of great mule owners out there that seem all too happy to help a newbie out. G503 Forum has a large mule community.
I knew next to nothing when I jumped at the chance to buy mine. My main guidelines came from previous experience in mvs. Body and drivetrain are number one. Missing parts can be expensive or difficult to obtain.
I bought mine sight unseen, except from a few pictures exchanged via emails. When I drove 15 hours to pick it up I was not disappointed.
To sum up a mule purchase, I would suggest the following as some basic guidelines;
-clean straight deck without dents, extra holes, damage or corrosion
-intact data plates
-all cover plates in place on the deck (Round armament cover, engine cover and brake cover if applicable)
-correct in place engine guard on rear
-good rims
-no visible damage to undercarriage
-all covers on engine
Mules typically have all sorts of leaking seals and gaskets which are easily replaced and not too expensive. Engines are available for around $1100 rebuilt or you can do it yourself quite easily as well. The mechanicals on these are relatively straightforward. There are lots of bits and pieces that appear to be quite cheap until you start adding them all up! Hence, the necessity for completeness. You can buy a nice runner typically for around $6000 to $7000 although I have seen many lately going for much more, as high as $10g.
I purchased mine, unrunning for $2000 and have about $4000 in parts into it including a rebuilt engine, but I am going for a complete factory restoration.
Good list.

I wouldn't worry too much about data plates, rims, or a super clean deck. You can find/fix these easily. The deck cover plates and engine guard are super hard to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks