• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lock out hubs on M880? Can you? Did you?

ida34

There are kits to convert the full time t-case (203 I think) to work as a part time case. On Chevy's you could just pull out the steel plug out of the axle and put in the hubs. On the M880 you need to change over the T-case then replace the rotor and hub with one that will allow the lockouts. The spindle also has to be changed along with the bearings and associated hardware. I think the steering knuckle is the same but don't know for sure. You also need to change out both outer axle shafts then put in the lockouts. Your best bet is finding a donor axle at the junkyard since there is so much stuff to change. I am pretty sure the kit you are talking about is the one that converts the full time case to a part time case. The ones for Chevy included the hubs. The dodge did not and was a little cheaper. I don't know if they are still available. If you put in lockouts with out converting the t-case you will have to put it in hi loc to get it to move. If you don't it will move until the torque is transfered to the front and it will then just freewheel. I had dropped the front drive shaft on my 77 ram charger several years ago and I was able to limp home by putting the t-case in hi-loc. I have never seen a kit for converting the axle to a lockout hub setup. I hope this helps.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually some M880 already came with the HD#44 part time front axle, internal spline hubs w/steel plugs, same 8x6.5 bolt pattern. TC remained the same NP 203, w/o any mods.

To convert the most common full time 4WD system into part time, you also need to replace the steering knuckles, anchor plates, brake caliper, etc. Look for a complete Chevy front axle and start swapping parts.

I had worked out a kit to keep the original knuckles and brake components (w/minor mods.) and only adding Chevy spindles and rotors as well as the outer shafts. But no time yet to start...

Good luck! :D

Attachments

98hd

Milemarker makes the part time kit. They have the hubs and the necessary parts to convert the t-case.

The better option is to see if you can just get the t-case parts, and then swap the knuckles out from either a later dodge, or a chevy 44/10 bolt. These use the conventinal wheel bearing setup, instead of the crappy unitized hub deal the 880's had.

When I bought my '75 W200 iit had the MM hubs installed, but I was never sure about the 203. Both have been removed now, I had just bought a parts truck to convert my front 44 to the later style also, but went w/ a 60 front instead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks