• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for my first m101....

sperduton

So after thinking for a long time that I need a trailer to haul some stone, I was going to add some side to a car trailer, but I am partners on this trailer and the other owners weren't keen on me adding sides to it to haul stuff. I'd love a full fledged power dump trailer, but don't have that kind of cash, I wound up looking into military trailers. Do I have this all right.

What I'm looking for the trailer for is to haul home 1 yard loads of stone(which is too heavy for my pickup truck), gravel, loads of firewood, etc..

I looked at an m101a1 and almost bought it, but I went to look at it at the last minute and had no cash in my pocket (it was local) I was going to make an offer today but I wasn't real keen on the 6 foot bed . It needed a tire and I saw the split rim knowing it wasn't something I can mount on my tire machine. It also looked to be a unique bolt pattern on the wheels.

Then I read up about the A2. Which has an 8 foot bed and looks to have chevy truck 8 lug wheels and surge brakes. All which are a plus.

Then there's an A3? does that also have surge brakes? I think it's wider than and a2, but is it still 8 feet long.
What kind of wheels are on that one?

I know depending on where I buy from, I may need to convert the lights to 12 volt.

Just trying to figure out what would be best for my purpose. I'll be pulling it with a 3/4 ton dodge 4 x 4 with a cumins diesel engine.
I'm actually pretty surprised at these trailers on how well they are built versus how much they cost. It's a pretty good buy and something that should last a really long time.

Thanks for any help,
Nick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A1 and A2 are both rated at 3/4 ton. The A3 is rated at 1 ton. Beds of all 3 are the same size basically, 8'. The A1 and A2 have 45" between the inner fenders and the A3 has 55" between them. I've had all of them and the A3 is far and away my favorite. It uses the same 8 lug bolt pattern but has HMMWV tires and rims with run flats. All 3 are great trailers to own. Oh, yes, the A3 has surge brakes like the A2.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they advertise a m101 as a dump trailer don't believe them , you can make them dump sorta , but a lot of them have wrecked doing it . The tounge was designed to fold for shipping not dumping.

Attachments

sperduton

3/4 ton is the rating for off road, yes? It's a little over a ton on road ? Assuming since it's military it's built pretty heavy and can take a bit more than that.

The trailer I looked at last night I thought was an A1 and the box was 6 feet long. I think the data plate said 1962.

The A2 seems to be priced pretty decent at under $800. While the A3's seem to be quite a bit higher. Not sure I have that kind of cash.

I'm not really concerned about the dumping, it's more for the weight it can haul, like gravel or mulch and being able to shovel it right off the back to where I want to go, rather then getting a delivery and renting a machine or wheel barrowing it everywhere. I can just back the trailer up to where I need to spread it and start shoveling. THe benefit of loading it with firewood is good also. I can bring home two truck loads at one time now. One in the trailer and one in my truck.

KsM715

For what you say you want to do with it, a M101a2 would be perfect. I use mine for just that, gravel, landscape stone and mulch. If you see the need for hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheet rock more than once or twice the a3 would be better but not really worth the extra money IMHO.

MDSA

Just hauled home 3540 lbs of gravel this afternoon in the 101A1. Used a dodge 3500 so no problem. Only miles and took it easy. Great trailer

sperduton

I saw an A3 pop up on craigslist that's in my price range.
THe a3 can also run 8 lug truck wheels and tires, just like the a2, correct?
Other than the bed being a little wider between the wheels and it rated at 1 ton off road instead of 3/4 ton, it's all the same as the a2?
What gives is the higher weight rating, an additional leaf(s) in the spring pack?
Also, does it run the same bows and tarp as and a1/a2?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:

xiongy

I don't know if it matters to you, but you might want to take a tape measure with you when you go see the trailer. Sometimes, these trailers may be labeled as an A3, but really be a frankenstein trailer: A2.5 where some parts are A2, others are A3.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost every A3 coming out of WPAFB GL in the last year are kludges between the A2 and A3.

DeucesWild11

I got my M105 trailer to match up to the deuce.. However my Navigator towed it like it was barely even there. I was planning on possibly using that for short trips to get mulch, dirt or whatever, However the issue would be getting it level.. Just a thought if you wanted something a little bigger, seems like you have the HP to pull it..

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my M105 trailer to match up to the deuce.. However my Navigator towed it like it was barely even there. I was planning on possibly using that for short trips to get mulch, dirt or whatever, However the issue would be getting it level.. Just a thought if you wanted something a little bigger, seems like you have the HP to pull it..
It might have the HP to pull it but it won't have the brakes to stop it . Most states require working brakes on a M 105 .

Safety First.

sperduton

Thanks for the help folks, I picked up an a2 yesterday. I paid $950 which was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it was much closer to where I lived. It's very clean and has the sides and the tarp cover.
The trailers out in PA were cheaper ($750), but by the time I figured in the extra $100 worth of $4.00+ a gallon fuel, some food stops and the 8 hours it would have taken me to get there, back and look at a trailer, this one became the better bargain. We rolled it up on my car trailer and brought it home.
Now I just have to go about getting it registered here in NJ and wiring up the lights.

THanks,
Nick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks