• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AAA for a CUCV? (IN)

Durango_USMC

I'm sure it's been asked before but I haven't seen anything on it. If I recover anything it will probably be from Stout Field, but maybe Crane or Grissom. More than likely it'll be Stout Field. Has anyone used AAA before to haul one out? I know they've been out on that base before generally just give the guys at the gate a heads up and they're good to go. Is there any GL policy/restriction against this? I'll get the CUCV insured before recovery, and I'm still researching the temp tag thing for the state. I ask because knowing my luck I'll get the one that doesnt need batteries, fluids, and fuel to start right up and I can generally schedule a wrecker through AAA to pick up whatever vehicle I'm with. Any Guidance or experiences would be great to hear, thank you.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question. I think you'd have to talk to the AAA provider that handles that area and specify to AAA when you call them that you want that provider. AAA would probably say no if you asked them in the first place. How far would you have it towed? These AAA providers don't make a ton of $$ on these tows.

Any AAA providers have an opinion?

jaymcb

At least up here, you have to have plates and insurance on something for them to tow.

I have AAA Plus, and once my M1009 was registered, they flatbedded it right to my door for $0...although it was from a private sale.

My guess is they'd find a way to not cover you towing off a base. If you could move it out of the GL lot to one of the roads, and it had tags, then they would tow it.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I'm sure it's been asked before but I haven't seen anything on it. If I recover anything it will probably be from Stout Field, but maybe Crane or Grissom. More than likely it'll be Stout Field. Has anyone used AAA before to haul one out? I know they've been out on that base before generally just give the guys at the gate a heads up and they're good to go. Is there any GL policy/restriction against this? I'll get the CUCV insured before recovery, and I'm still researching the temp tag thing for the state. I ask because knowing my luck I'll get the one that doesnt need batteries, fluids, and fuel to start right up and I can generally schedule a wrecker through AAA to pick up whatever vehicle I'm with. Any Guidance or experiences would be great to hear, thank you.
You may want to give me a call. I live 15 mins from Stout Field, as well as have a us army tow bar and a set of towing light. I'm sure my wife Ramcharger could pull anther cucv no problems but I also have a m1028 to pull you home to. Pm me and we can talk details. As long as my fuels covered to and from I'll help out the best I can.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least up here, you have to have plates and insurance on something for them to tow.

I have AAA Plus, and once my M1009 was registered, they flatbedded it right to my door for $0...although it was from a private sale.

My guess is they'd find a way to not cover you towing off a base. If you could move it out of the GL lot to one of the roads, and it had tags, then they would tow it.

That's why I suggested calling the local provider. They may or may not. The three providers in my immediate area will tow just about anything as long as you have "the card".

Durango_USMC

Last couple times I've had anything towed... so long as I had the keys or a card they'd tow it. I've had AAA on stout field before when I locked myself out one day (laugh now but its happened to a lot of us). I didn't think the PM would mind but I'm sure their's a new PM out there now.

Indy4x4fab, I'll PM you when I get to bidding, but I will definitely cover fuel costs for towing. I'd be going from stout field to the southport area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks