• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From white to black markings, when?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 8x8 has layers of paint like any other MV, and white stars now painted over.
When were the white markings switched to black, subdued and were the stars eliminated at that same time?
Were black stars ever used with the black markings? Desert Deuce has small black stars used with his black markings on the "movie" trucks, is that a correct way to use the stars and if so when?

Were white stars ever used with black markings?

Confusion is setting, I better stop. :)

Attachments

jasonjc

Not shure on most of this ,Ido know that the small black star front bumper and the rear I think are corrrect. I shure DD will give you the scoop on this. He knows all. :p

Towerguy1

My understanding of the markings is the white was only used on the origional semigloss WWII to early Vietnam era. in approx. 1975 when Camo and CARC Camo paint started comeing into the picture The vehicle numbers where painted inside the cab ( usually on the inner passenger door ) and exterior markings where black on the outside. The white star was reduced in size and eventually left off the doors alltogether. Small stars (black) started on the tailgates and front bumpers. I think there where several "correct" schemes in use untill all the camo became more standaredized in the 80's

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
current trucks still have the small black stars on them. On Humvees, it's on the tailgate, and on above the grill. They usually get painted over when a truck goes from OD to tan. It's purpose, Im not sure. But they are there.

Towerguy1

Yes... Correction of the correction... The previous correction was refering to the doors only. then it left the doors it was further reduced in size and added to the bumpers and tailgates. However between 1975 and 1980 (or so) There was a mix and match of marking arrangements (all black) untill they started to become mre standardized.

Further note this correction could cause further corrections and or clarifications, Any further corrections or clarifications may be added to this post. No animals where injured during the writeing of this post. I will not be responsible for errors or omissions. Real army trucks are green or in some cases desert tan, not purple, red, orange, etc. :mrgreen:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bjorn,
One of the Appendices in the second edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles address all these issues.

HTH,
David

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, gotcha, "when all else fails, read the instructions".

Got a sample of the 24084 (Aervoe 997B) coming, hopefully it's not as brown as the 24087.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks