• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" M762

Pawnshop

After years of looking I found an M762 near enough to me to buy! She is a Johnson, unk build date, serial number 14863, 1979 rebuild date, USMC owned (I am assuming this because of the lifting rings, please advise if I am wrong!). The body is straight, only surface rust and flaking paint/CARC, the lights all work other than the turn signals are somehow reversed (L blinks R, R blinks L), new bearings that were adjusted WAY too tight but after adjustment she towed home from Ft. Worth like a dream. There are two things on the trailer that are baffling me: the extra bracket on the high lunette mount and a small plastic domed disc screwed down on the left side of the bed forward of the fender (bubble level maybe?)

If any other M762 owners can help me pin down the date of manufacture based on a serial number comparison with their units that would be much appreciated!

Attachments

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pawnshop, yours is from a light tower kit. It originally had a 40 ft tower and 3kw gas genset. I have pics of what it looked like in my pic folder http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/uscgmatt-albums-portable-light-trailer.html. Let me get my sn to help also.:grd: The extra bracket is a safety for keeping the tower vertical. The flat plate on the pass. side with u bolts is for a tongue jack.

Trailer sn is 15565 no date stamp but 1967 contract. The light tower is a 1977 contract. I hate when they dont stamp the date.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

Yep, that was me, I won't bid till the end (no reason to give someone a chance to outbid me:)), though someone did bid after me, just not high enough.

I think I will find a genset to put on it, smaller and more maneuverable than an M116A2, and cooler too.

There was a M762 w/light set on eBay a couple of months ago, I thought I saved the pix to my hard drive but apparently not, can't find them now. I noticed yours has the big composite tail lights on it, did you do that or is it "stock"?

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed yours has the big composite tail lights on it, did you do that or is it "stock"?
Those were on it when I picked it up at Chambersburg. I kick myself now because at the time there were 4 complete units up for auction. I won one for 200 and somebody got another one for the same price. The other two didnt get bid on, and about 8 months they came back up and by then I saw how cool they were so I was going to bid again. But they both went for 800 and change aua. Oh well.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice acquisition, yours is in better shape than mine. Mine is slowly making the transition from M416 to M762, I have some rust to contend with first. Keep us posted....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks