• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on making a 5 ton highway safe

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found a plethora of great advice in the forums for making my M817 a safer/legal truck for use in Illinois and Wisconsin. So far I've added/in process of mounting:

Safety Triangles
10LB ABC extinguisher (bought military issue mounting bracket for cab)
24V LED Grote lights (adding 5 to rear)
24V LED Grote upgrade tail and turn
License plate mount/bracket with converted 12V to 24V LED plate light
A pile of 14 Guage male/female/y connectors

Still working on:

Battery cutoff switch (CAT or Pollak, not sure)
Mud Flaps (with super singles, trying to make it look good with out shower curtains hanging down.....any advice would be much appreciated)
Bumpers (bolt on in front, dual purpose trailer/bumper bracket in back)
Pedal/Shifter boots
Operating wiper blades (though hand operated is legal)

In Illinois, the state requires 6 month safety inspections to National Highway Safety standards for all Vehicles with a GVW over 26,000 Lb's. Any other advice is much appreciated on what I may be over looking.

I'm a fairly mechanical guy who is always short on time; I love my country and thank god I was born here; and want to keep this truck as military as possible out of respect to those who served our country.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Is it your intention to use the M817 as a commercial vehicle?

Do you have CDL with Medical Card?

Commercial Insurance?

Can you do the inspections required or do you have a shop that can for a reasonable price?

If the answer to the above is yes then you can prob make some bucks if you stay within the truck's limitations.

These vehicles were made to haul heavy loads over various terrains at slow speeds.....while being driven by young drivers that were not really interested in properly maintaining them.

If you are doing short hauls of gravel, sand, dirt, etc it could be a money maker.

Good luck.

Welder Sam

some states dont differenciate between private non-commercial and commercial use because of the weight(even with antique plates). i for one live in one of those states currently.

there should be a list of required items at your dmv or if all else fails, mr dot may help if asked really nicely. may even go so far as to email the state dot's offices for their requirements. they will surely neglect to inform you that in most cases, you only have to meet the saftey standards for the year of manufacture. that could also be different in your area so dont take it to heart. do some research. dont take word here as law.

best of luck to you, your truck, and what ever you may choose to do with it

Welder Sam

some states dont differenciate between private non-commercial and commercial use because of the weight(even with antique plates). i for one live in one of those states currently.

there should be a list of required items at your dmv or if all else fails, mr dot may help if asked really nicely. may even go so far as to email the state dot's offices for their requirements. they will surely neglect to inform you that in most cases, you only have to meet the saftey standards for the year of manufacture. that could also be different in your area so dont take it to heart. do some research. dont take word here as law.

best of luck to you, your truck, and what ever you may choose to do with it

once again, i dont seem to be able to locate the delete button. my apologies. if a mod would be so kind as to help me out....

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a class B CDL with the type II exemption from medical (personal use vs. commercial) and an air endorsement. I own a hobby farm with a 3/4 mile long driveway that is need of LOTS of gravel. I bought the truck "ready to go" for use on the farm/ going to the pit for gravel (how we all justify our toys).......but found a few road blocks in licensing it and legal operation as it sits currently. My intention is to get it ready for use.....but being so new I don't want to under estimate what is required nor overshoot on unecessary additions.

Oh....I earned the CDL specifically to own/operate this truck. When I walked into work the following day after earning it (as I'm probably the only one in my chosen profession with a CDL)......one of my partners stated "So, if the economy collapses, you'll be qualified to drive a garbage truck"...of which I quickly retorted ..."No, its for when I'm having a bad day, I can legally drive my 6x6 dump truck over your BMW.....and then bury it with 10 tons of rock". When you work around "blue bloods".....you have to put them in their place.

Welder Sam

your better than me. i have no cdl and do drive my 816. research with the dmvs/dots in your AO and they should help ya narrow it all down bro. as for the blue bloods, huh... you should give this high poverty area a go. the majority hate my trucks and they can kiss my a** too. i tend to drive a truck of the 6x6 persuasion at least once a week. i do obey most laws and am a pretty laid back driver. however, i did pass 2 cars and hit 68mph thru some smooth flats in my eldo truck saturday.

in my area if u tag it as a farm truck, your golden.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not knowing the IL law I have no idea what you need to be legal. In TN you don't even need a CDL for farm use.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Sam and Wrecker.

As I'm an inquisitive person, I actually called IDOT and the WI state police along with the WI DMV before purchasing the M817. I asked alot of questions and had great conversations, though disheartening in what would be needed to license the truck and make it road worthy.

Wisconsin: NO GO (can't license for regular use any military vehicle....parades and service visits only)......and this is what the good gentlemen in here have been fighting against up until the past couple of days (it looks like they will allow usage as long as they're highway legal.....like IL)

Illinois: Being that the M817 is over 26k GVW, have to license and register as commercial truck (though insurance was obtained for personal use.....comprehensive and liability with $2k deductible for about $700/year). The plates are UNBELIEVABLY expensive.....thousands of dollars.....and charge by the quarter (over $2,000 for April-September). And the good folks here on S.S. are working on that piece also.

My theory on this all is common sense. I want to be legal, safe and a contributor. The problem with the current laws and licensing is they're based on fear and greed. Fear that those in this hobby are complacent to others safety and then greed on having collectors pay the weight of daily users (what states due in bankruptcy.....you can't take from those who don't have)

I have yet to license/register the truck.....but will happily pay for the privilege upon sanity landing in either IL or Wisconsin. Until then, keep working on the truck......getting ready for when I can show her off.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually did. I asked the hypothetical question with the WI state police in Waukesha: "I'm on my farm and want to put some gravel down on my access road/driveway.....am I ok with farm plates?"

There statement: "It's a military vehicle, so no on that point......parades and service visits only". "But if it were legal to drive a military vehicle, on farm plates.....it can only be used for agriculture related .....such as feed,seed, fencing, etc.....no gravel". I asked this of the patrolman on duty. Nice conversation and he understood the dilemma of MV owners in WI (sounded sympathetic....but with my luck, I'd have a jack boot out of the academy hit me with the book when hauling gravel). And if unlicensed, un registered for what you're driving at the 26k+ GVWR......you can go to jail (it was on the test.....no kidding).

So I'm plodding along......waiting this out. I'll post pics of the additions to the truck (going up to the farm on the weekends working on the truck).

Thanks Gents

cx65083

I'm in WI and listening to whats going on here with the DOT. I picked up my 813 last fall and parked it until I could afford to license/insure it. Then found out about the issues at hand. I do have a WI title, so when they get this mess fixed it wont be all that hard to get plates...I hope.
I want to get regular plates so I can use it to run into town now and then and not rely on antique military plates and the restrictions that come with them.
In the mean time I've started reading the TM's so I have a better idea on the in's and outs of my truck.

Most recently divorced middle aged men go out and buy shiny red sports cars...
Imagine my EX's surprise when she dropped off the kids and found a big green truck in the driveway! ;-)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"But if it were legal to drive a military vehicle, on farm plates.....it can only be used for agriculture related .....such as feed,seed, fencing, etc.....no gravel".
That doesn't sound right. Most (if not all) farms have roads and driveways. Hauling gravel to your farm is directly related to farming. I can understand you not being able to haul gravel to your neighbor or something but if you're hauling to your own farm I don't see how that can't be related to farming.

I believe I'd ask somebody else about this. Some cops are known for making stuff up when they don't know the law.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks gents. I'll seek that option out as a 150 mile radius is allowed with Farm plates (the most I would need.....unless I get crazy).....once WI allows Military vehicles on the roadway again.

Though, I rent the land to a local farmer (as it's my weekend home for my family) and without a farming "business", I technically would not qualify (even though I own the land). You have to be in the business.

I'm looking at this from many points and possibly over thinking it. It all depends on who pulls you over (local/state/county). Hopefully it's an officer wanting to say "****, thats cool....have a good day".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks