• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Make shift trailer brakes for a m105a2

indy4x4fab

Banned
This is how I made my trailer brake contraler for my m105a2.

This was built after looking at how the m105a2 pulls empty with no air brakes, small load (1000 lb) in the bed of the trailer with no air brakes, as well as how it pulls empty with air brakes behind a deuce, and finally a small load (1000 lb) in the bed of the trailer with air brakes behind a deuce.

This not a something I recommend for standard pulling practices of a m105a2 with a single air line hook up.

This system does work quit well and is very effective if you have all the proper tools and items that are needed to make this system work together.

Items use for this system are a 110v generator, a 110v air compressor with built in air pressure regulator, a simple two pole on-off switch, and a three port 12v air valve (de-energizer is in the closed (no air comes out) trailer air line vent to the atmospheric; energized, charged the trailer brakes, atmospheric vent closed), 10 ft. of air hose with a glad hand on one end, and some 2-18 (about 10 ft. of wire) wire with a standard 12v car lighter male plug on one end.

We had the gen-set in the back diver side of the bed so we could drop the tail-gate start it as needed to recharge the air supply via running the air compressor, then we set the compressors regulator to 25 psi when empty and 35 psi with 2000lb of cargo in the bed of the m105. This wasn't enough air to lock the brakes up on the trailer but it was more then enough air to stop the trailer and its self, with out pushing the tail end of the truck around. We used a three port 12v air valve for the simple fact it could be wired to a standard 12v car lighter male plug on one end for power with out having to have the gen-set running the hole time to power the air valve.

This system was tested a couple of time in an empty parking lot first, before even taking the truck and trailer on to the road. The final test was when applied the brakes as we where coming in to a rest stop at night. The trailer brakes worked perfect they stopped the trailer and the truck with little or no effort at 35 psi. the tires never locked up but you could tell they where doing exactly what they where suppose to do.

I'll post pictures Sunday, and possibly a video, too.

I don't recommend that this is to be used by everyone. THIS IS NOT D.O.T. APPROVED, SO IF YOU USE THIS SET UP YOU DO SO AT THE RISK TO YOUR SELF, WITH LOCAL AND FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND D.O.T. INSPECTORS.

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recommend that this is to be used by everyone. THIS IS NOT D.O.T. APPROVED, SO IF YOU USE THIS SET UP YOU DO SO AT THE RISK TO YOUR SELF, WITH LOCAL AND FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND D.O.T. INSPECTORS.

So you post it in a open forum for all of them to see. :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

indy4x4fab

Banned

So you post it in a open forum for all of them to see. :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:
Yep, with the warnings in bright yellow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can always learn from others. Even if it's NOT what to do!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, a member has already done this and posted a thread on it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can always learn from others. Even if it's NOT what to do!
Yep this is a good example of what not to do . I bet the insurance company would void the policy in the event of a accident also.

There are D.O.T. approved set-ups out there .

3dAngus

This is how I made my trailer brake contraler for my m105a2.

This was built after looking at how the m105a2 pulls empty with no air brakes, small load (1000 lb) in the bed of the trailer with no air brakes, as well as how it pulls empty with air brakes behind a deuce, and finally a small load (1000 lb) in the bed of the trailer with air brakes behind a deuce.

This not a something I recommend for standard pulling practices of a m105a2 with a single air line hook up.

This system does work quit well and is very effective if you have all the proper tools and items that are needed to make this system work together.

Items use for this system are a 110v generator, a 110v air compressor with built in air pressure regulator, a simple two pole on-off switch, and a three port 12v air valve (de-energizer is in the closed (no air comes out) trailer air line vent to the atmospheric; energized, charged the trailer brakes, atmospheric vent closed), 10 ft. of air hose with a glad hand on one end, and some 2-18 (about 10 ft. of wire) wire with a standard 12v car lighter male plug on one end.

We had the gen-set in the back diver side of the bed so we could drop the tail-gate start it as needed to recharge the air supply via running the air compressor, then we set the compressors regulator to 25 psi when empty and 35 psi with 2000lb of cargo in the bed of the m105. This wasn't enough air to lock the brakes up on the trailer but it was more then enough air to stop the trailer and its self, with out pushing the tail end of the truck around. We used a three port 12v air valve for the simple fact it could be wired to a standard 12v car lighter male plug on one end for power with out having to have the gen-set running the hole time to power the air valve.

This system was tested a couple of time in an empty parking lot first, before even taking the truck and trailer on to the road. The final test was when applied the brakes as we where coming in to a rest stop at night. The trailer brakes worked perfect they stopped the trailer and the truck with little or no effort at 35 psi. the tires never locked up but you could tell they where doing exactly what they where suppose to do.

I'll post pictures Sunday, and possibly a video, too.

I'm anxious to see what you have. I've always thought how nice it would be to have an emergency air line from the back of my pickup with a controller for emergency stops. I imagine just about everyone here has pulled a M-105 at one point in time or another with a pickup, even though there are no brakes.
Maybe I can learn something here that would help me with an emergency stop system, that is of little or no cost. It would be terrific for recovering a M-105 from a new purchase, just in case it is needed for that one time emergency stop. Thanks Indy, I look forward to your next set of pictures on it.

indy4x4fab

Banned
And may I add we where using a 2001 dodge 2500 cummins, with the nv4500 five speed, 4x4 so we could down shift to take as much load off the brakes to keep from burning them up or over heating them. Picture of it hooked up now posted in the first post. If you look close you can see the glad hand hose hanging from being draped over the tailgate on the diver side rear corner of the truck. the hose was zip-tide to a bed hold down inside the bed so the hose wouldn't be in harms way or couldn't drag the ground. I also changed the 24v bulbs out for 12v bulbs so I wouldn't have to worry about magnetic towing light falling off, that and I think they look like crap hanging off the back of those trailers. Just my 2cents Oh, and besides the gen-set and air compressor where already going with use on the parts run, why not put them to good use on the trip there.

indy4x4fab

Banned
After a half hour of searching, I found the thread I mentioned in post # 9.

It had been deleted(assuming the OP did it). That's why we recently changed the rules on deleting your own posts.

Read this thread...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/68176-trailer-air-brakes-heavy-duty-pickup.html
Thanks DH that's a very clean an nice setup but, its a lot more complicated then my setup, but on the flip side I'm sure you don't need two people to lift that in to the back of a truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks