• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FCC drops morse code requirement for HF ham radio

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep.. was bound to happen. For some drama and amusement, check out QRZ.com and look at the forum:

QRZ Forum » QRZ News » Ham Radio News » Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

and you can see a whole bunch of pompous poobahs and drama llamas moaning and whining about how this will destroy the hobby, etc. amidst calls for tolerance. it's a hoot.

well excuse me, but ham radio is a 'service' first, and 'hobby' second.

Oh well.. great news for those of us into military radios, especially those with HF gear. The written tests are not that hard if you are into electronics even a little. (I personally think the written tests are too easy)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I'll be testing now. Patrick, do you know the website that has the random practice tests made up of the pool of questions from the FCC tests? Been there before but many years ago. Looks like a few RT524s I'll be needing.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
QRZ.com has practice tests. look on the left side of the page, and scroll down to the section on practice tests.

First master the "Technician" test for the VHF (RT524, PRC-77, PRC-25, RT246, RT68, PRC-68 etc) frequencies if you do not have a license.

Then the "General" test for the HF priveleges when the thing becomes final. Then you can use the GRC-106!

The tests have a certain number of question (35-50?) drawn from a large pool (400?) Once the tests can be passed every time with a grade of 80 or better, you are sure to pass the real thing at the local ham radio club. Good luck! I been in electroniucs for years, and to me it's good news. I have no interest in morse code, only voice, video, and data, so I have not tried very hard to learn code I'll never use.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took the general test.. 'pah!' is all I can say. but it's easy for me because.. by the same token, I would not go pulling the engine apart on the deuce!

Test Complete
The elapsed time was: 11 minutes and 32 seconds.
You have passed the test with a score of 80.0 percent.
Click here to take another test

Maybe we can talk on the radio some time in the future. FL to TX should be easy on HF.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I always felt that knowing the Morse code set the amateur radio operators one apart from the rest of us, now it'll be like operating any other "CB" radio.
Any reason for this?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am glad that this is dropped and would like to DX with anyone that is also into HF I learned morse code in my early days of being an enlisted signalman and I don't think it will ever go away but it sure is rusty. As far as being a CB type of hype I doubt that the large numbers of folks will shell out thousands of dollars or euros to get outfitted for proper HF operations. The whole tuning matching operation would confuse many that is why our antennaes are auto matching on most newer Army radios. It would be great to have a DX version of SS on HF lets get a freq and time and see what happens. KLJ 3162

Towerguy1

There has always been a debate on the licencing requirements. Myself, I hate to see Morse code go, but technology has changed and so has the world. Hope some of you take the time to get a licence and enjoy the hobby. There are usually people arround to help with things like antenna matching and other things. Ive been licenced for about 19 years. Its lots of fun...... I also would like to see a SS HF net!!!

KA1UMG

mcinfantry

side thought.

i you could go back in time and meet a caveman, would he be furious that we did away with hand gestures and gutteral moanings so people could talk? what about the indians and the demise of smoke signals?

the wright brothers mad that anyone we fly in single winged aircraft.

maybe pilots should be forced to learn to fly on the original wright plane, since thats how it started.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hand signals do come in handy at times.

I think I would want to know the code anyway as a back-up.

I like options, always carry extra tools, when on the road, not just one adjustable wrench to handle everything which would be the equivalent here...

BigJay

Re: RE: FCC drops morse code requirement for HF ham radio

mcinfantry said:
side thought.

i you could go back in time and meet a caveman, would he be furious that we did away with hand gestures and gutteral moanings so people could talk? what about the indians and the demise of smoke signals?

the wright brothers mad that anyone we fly in single winged aircraft.

maybe pilots should be forced to learn to fly on the original wright plane, since thats how it started.
Well that's not exactly the same.. A large part of the code requirement came from the cold war. In a nuke attack the ICs that are required for modulation will likely be destroyed. While a CW rig is simple enough to continue to operate. Also a CW rig can be built fairly easily while, in the past, a phone transmitter was more difficult. So that's what I always heard about code. Keeping a service available to the country for communications in an emergency.

Now as a no-code tech who's struggled trying to learn 5wpm, I see both side of the coin. I'm overjoyed that I can move forward now and begin to use some HF (Which is where it all started for me 15 years ago on 11 meters).

-Jay

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: FCC drops morse code requirement for HF ham radi

With 1/2 watt one can talk across the globe via CW with the right conditions. It's a fun way to communicate with others...if you're into that sorta thing :)

Elwenil

While the code requirement has kept me from getting my license, I hate to see it go. I think that the guys who do the emergency volunteer work with radios would hate to see it go also. It is a great back up and as stated can be simple to fabricate a CW rig to communicate. The great thing about Morse was that everyone knew it then they started letting it slide. I wonder if someone in the future will regret not learning it and being able to get a message out when needed.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't have time to study the Morse part of the exam (Element 1), but now I know I can probably pass Element 2 without too much problem and upgrade to General. There always will be a need for Morse operators, and portions of the band will still be available to only those that know it, so I don't see too much of an issue.

One hammer on QRZ had a point: interest in Morse is dropping because folks don't see a need to communicate with an obsolete art. Now, using that fact, there is also a dropping interest in other forms of obsolete art, like calligraphy and archery, but there are still a choice few that do it. There is NOT a government requirement for folks to study calligraphy or archery, so why should there be a government mandate for folks to HAVE to know Morse?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The tone of this has me concerned. From what Patrick said, you no longer have to test in code to get the license. Sounds like some folks think that the use of code has been eliminated. This is not the case, is it? It can still be used right? Makes the guys that know code a level up on the perspective technician like me.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most likely reason the FCC did this is that basically the rest of the world (the ITU anyway) has discontinued (officially) the use of the morse code. The USA ham radio operators were about the only people left for whom it was required. I do not beieve it is a requirement for military or the maritime shipping any more.

I have followed this closely since I love HF and the AM mode (I will be one of the guys with the vacuum tube radio sets after the nuke).

The FCC left this ham radio issue open for public comment a couple years ago and the voices for removing the requirement for CW far outnumbered the voices for keeping it (and this was among licensed hams for the vast part, and many of them General
Code:
 class and above). Similarly, the reasons given in the comments for un-requiring it were usually better than the reasons for keeping it, at least in the FCC eyes.

There are those who say that having to enter through the supplicants' door i.e. learn to use some morse code is how the CBers and "riff-rafff" are kept out. Since the "general" class test is so easy, I will concede partially to that point. The other half of the equation, which I cannot concede to, goes thusly:

1. listen to the HF ham radio enough, you will hear plenty of CB-like behavior including cursing and sometimes jamming, playing music, etc. I think the riff-raff already passed the morse code test and is in there now.

2. The CB'ers are unlikely to want to try the technical test, but if they do, they face an obstacle of $500-1000 for a station, even an old clunker with a decent receiving capability plus an antenna will cost $350-400. Then, who the heck do they talk to? Most CBers know that the ham ops don't put up with alot of crap on their frequencies and have been known to track people down, and that the FCC does occasionally make costly examples of ham operators gone bad, unlike the FCC + CB band scene, where operators can run free like they wish.  -- so it would take a real commitment from a CBer to join up, and that person would then most likely obey strictly the rules and do the best they could.

-----
Now, for all those general-class hams and those above them who have made fun of me because I did not espouse the code, I forgive them, for they have a narrow view and are entitled to their opinion. Maybe I can talk to them on SSB or AM some day.
------

-- and BTW here is how you modulate a CW transmitter that you cobble together after the bomb; go scrap out a telephone and connect the handset so the carbon mike is in the cathode or emitter lead of the oscillator or one of the intermediate power amplifiers, and there ya got AM. 

As for the Code itself, it is a much revered icon. It's not being banned, and it will never disappear. People actually love to use it, it is a fine hobby for many people. I have no fears that morse code will disappear from the ranks of ham operators because if no one wanted to use it, it would already be silent in those sub-bands. Consider how many hams learned 5 words per minute code just to get the privelege of using voice or data communications on the HF bands, and never used code again. Now consider how many of them learned the code because they had to, and then found out that they liked it as a fun way to communicate. So it's not going away, probably ever. 

My friend Dennis W5FRS is a real expert in code, can do 25 WPM just like talking. For the last 35 years since he was licensed he never used voice modes and he builds all his own gear using vacuum tubes just like it was done in the 1930's. -- but I admit it, I corrupted him to voice, and we cathode-modulated his 250-TH amplifier.. so he has an AM option. His stuff is here (since I suppose it's on topic to show ham radio gear here)
[url]http://208.190.133.201/w5frs/index.html[/url]

Just like any older mode such as AM or RTTY or SSTV, there will always be people that like this or that aspect. 

Me, I like vacuum tube high level plate modulation and dangerously high voltages and I don't care about electrical power consumption. See my rig. It's 49 years old, and I have spent the last 4 years restoring it. For me it's a labor of love and preservation of 1500 Lbs. of Texas Military History but someone else would say it's a piece of junk, to be torn down and sold for parts.

Please take the tour if you have not.
[url]http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/tuckerkw/tucker_transmitter.html[/url]

Maybe I am an oddball, but I think there's plenty room on the ham bands for all of us who want to try it.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Deuce said:
Code will still be important for international communication.

Edit: Nevermind, I just read Opcom's post :D
Of course it will still be important, especially when conditions are very very bad. But they just decided it's not the only centerpiece any more. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks