• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rewiring 939 Series 5-Ton to Eliminate Electronic Controls

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had an idea rattling around my head for a couple of months. I am exploring the feasibility of eliminating electronic controls from my M923 5-Ton cargo truck. I like the simplicity of the deuce and think it is possible to replicate that system on most 939 series trucks.

I figure to keep solenoids, like for fuel shutoff, starter, air horn, but don't like the idea that an electronic component can fail and leave the truck operational.

Attached are a couple of diagrams that illustrate the complexity I would like to eliminate.

It wouldn't be as idiot proof for an inexperienced operator but then anything that heavy isn't anyway.

Comments?

Attachments

eldgenb

they have survived a long time as is, I am not so sure I would re engineer something that may be more unreliable than the original system, just ask us Germans, we over engineer everything and that has taught me some things.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have years of experience designing and retrofitting industrial control systems from the ground up. I have looked at process lines that weren't working correctly, interviewed the operator and designed new control systems that would make the process equipment do what the operator specified.

I prefer the most simplistic mechanical controls possible. Like Start/Stop.

The classic example of perfect controls to me is a start button to crank a diesel engine, and a cable to shut it off. Works every time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You have to REMEMBER that a lot of the interlocks on the 900s is NOT for safety but to keep the young and dumb from DESTROYING the truck, just like the control box on the 809s keeps you from trying to start if the truck is running, this makes it hard to roll start unless the the fuel shut off is turned in.

So I would guess you could get rid of at least 75% of the crap you are talking about and go back to the KISS principal, this is why I have been talking about GITTING RID of the protective control box for the 809s/900s and go back to how the m39 series is wired

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we have both been talking about it. How about we start doing it? I could sure use your help.

For simplicity's sake, I am going to start with the engine start stop circuit. In your experience with the NHC 250, is there a good place to connect a manual fuel shutoff? Can the emergency stop be modified to use for this? How about bypassing the fuel shutoff solenoid? Seem reasonable?

Any wiring changes I make, I will diagram them and post them here.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every 855cid Cummins I've ever seen had an electric fuel shutoff and the manual screw in override. I'm not saying they don't make a cable control but I've never seen one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every 855cid Cummins I've ever seen had an electric fuel shutoff and the manual screw in override. I'm not saying they don't make a cable control but I've never seen one.
Even my '69 8x8 has an electric solenoid operated fuel cut-off and that's simply due to the fact that it would be more difficult to run a mechanical link to the IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks